³², GUARDED

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-two; Guarded
You are never leaving my sight again. "

  ELSPETH WAS GETTING rather good at assisting Nostradamus

  ELSPETH WAS GETTING rather good at assisting Nostradamus. She had even begun learning a thing or two about tending wounds, and the man said her gentle bedside manner needed no perfecting.

  "I'll return shortly, and I'll knock three times so you know it is me," Nostradamus said for the third time, "No one should enter, and if they do--"

  "Shut myself upstairs and don't come out until you return," Elspeth completed his sentence with a small smile, "I promise."

  Nostradamus nodded, glancing between both her and Olivia before departing to gather meals for both of the girls.

  Elspeth gave him a reassuring smile, taking a seat beside Olivia's sleeping figure. The girl began her ritual, though this time without the assistance of Nostradamus. She checked each bandage, ensuring the wounds were still clean and covered in the correct healing mixtures were applied.

  The girl sat back after her work was finished, cleaning the workspace after herself and watching Olivia's calm breathing.

  Nostradamus had to be back soon, and Elspeth was preparing to read one of his many books on remedies to illness when she heard the door crack open.

  Elspeth scurried quietly upstairs to where Nostradamus's chambers were, shutting the door gently behind herself and holding her breath as she leaned against the wood.

  She couldn't hear anything for a long while. Only the beating of her own heart filled her ears.

  Until she heard a thud.  

  Elspeth froze. She wasn't sure how long she remained there, barricading the door with her own body until every joint ached.

  The only thing that made her move was a gentle knock and Nostradamus's voice.

  "What happened, is Olivia okay--?" Elspeth rushed out as soon as she tore the door open.

  "Olivia is fine," Nostradamus said, clearly shaken, "Remain here. I will retrieve you shortly; Elspeth, I do not think it is safe for you to remain here while Olivia is in this state."

  Elspeth furrowed her brows, attempting to peer around the man, but Nostradamus shifted with her, purposely blocking her view.

  "Where else am I to go?" Elspeth said sadly, looking back to him.

  Nostradamus sighed, thinking it over for a long moment.

  "Olivia will remain downstairs," He said, "I'll have you stay in this room until Sebastian returns. But I must take precautions; you are not to interact with her unless I am present. It is for your safety, Elspeth Liens."