⁵⁸, A RELIGIOUS SPECTACLE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifty-eight; A Religious Spectacle
" But the world is not so black and white. "

  ELSPETH HAD CONTINUED frequent check-ins with Mary

  ELSPETH HAD CONTINUED frequent check-ins with Mary. They were mostly concerning Mary's health and mental state, but Mary was happy nonetheless. As happy as she could be, considering.

  She was attempting to focus on rekindling the friendship instead of on her lost child.

  This was exactly why Mary was pleased that Elspeth was postponing her and Demetre's trip to Scotland until after Greer and Castleroy's wedding.

  "It's spectacular, befitting a spectacular bride."

  "Truthfully, I would've preferred something simpler."

  The hall was already livened with decorations. Statues of exotic birds, golden detailing, and decorations from the walls and ceilings; it was extravagant.

  And Greer did not seem particularly fond of such decorations.

  "For your sake or for Leith's?" Kenna questioned.

  "Marrying Aloysius is enough, without flaunting all of this in his face."

  "Is that what Castleroy's doing?"

  "Goodness, no, it's my mother."

  The girls chuckled at the idea before an unfamiliar girl approached quickly. Greer waved off a concerned nanny, accepting the girl at her side.

  "This is Gemma," Greer said, a real smile falling on her features, "Aloysius' youngest. His children are here for the wedding."

  "And now they're you're children," Kenna said fondly.

  "Yes," Greer agreed, grabbing a hairpin from Gemma's hand, "I'll fix this for you. Oh, what pretty locks you have."

  "Thank you."

  Gemma hugged Greer, before departing back off with her nanny.

  "They seem quite taken with you."

  "Yes," Greer agreed, before seeing Mary's low mood, "Enough about me, how are you feeling?"

  "Let's just say your wedding is a welcome distraction."

  "Mary called on me."

  Elspeth stood quickly at Demetre's abrupt entrance to her chambers.

  "She requested my presence in the throne room," Demetre informed, clasping his hands in front of him, "Some men are requesting an audience, Francis is indisposed, and in light of the attack on a Protestant service, I suppose she's hoping for some allies in case."