²⁹, FOR OUR LIVES

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-nine; For Our Lives
His station may not be higher than your own and yet mine is. "

  IT WAS FREEZING

  IT WAS FREEZING. Elspeth was quite frustrated Henry hadn't arranged a carriage for their travel, but she kept her thoughts to herself as the guards announced they'd halt for a short break.

  Elspeth climbed down from her horse, pulling Sebastian's cloak tighter around herself as a sharp breeze cut through the forest.

  "Banished," Elspeth mumbled as Sebastian joined her side, wrapping his arm around her tightly, "I can hardly believe it."

  "My banishment from France won't matter once we make it to Scotland," Sebastian said, though his voice was tight.

  Elspeth peered up at him, her brows knitting together.

  He had been tense most of the ride, especially after the guards had taken his weapons, but Elspeth couldn't pinpoint why. They were Francis's guards, after all, and had explained the taking of weapons was a formality they had to complete.

  "You're not a very trusting fellow, are you?" One of the guards spoke up.

  "I was a lot more trusting before you took my weapons."

  "You'll get those back as soon as you leave us," The guard responded, though his voice had a new tinge of taunting in it, "They say you're a threat to the realm. But your family wants you safe. Alive."

  "A threat to the realm?" Elspeth argued instantly, "Sebastian wants to leave France, regardless of this banishment. Mind your tongue."

  "Excuse my frankness, Lady Elspeth, but I've no reason to--"

  "His station may not be higher than your own and yet mine is," She all but spat, "I hardly think you want the Queen or Dauphin to hear of your words toward me and my betrothed. Perhaps I'll mention it to Lord Langlois as well."

  Elspeth stared down the guard until he looked away, clearly uneased by the gravity of her words.

  "Can I offer you something to drink, Lady Elspeth?"

  She eyed the other guard, holding out his canteen.

  "We have our own," Sebastian interrupted, "Thanks."

  Elspeth gave the man an uneasy look, but his expression only furthered her concern.

  One of the guards circled, standing near the forest beside the couple, while the other remained at his horse. Elspeth squeezed Sebastian's hand before returning to her horse's side, carefully tightening the saddle with gloved hands.

  She hoped to be out of the poor company as soon as possible but was more surprised those harsh words came from Francis's men. 

  "Elle!"

  The woman jolted, only seeing a brief flash of metal in the guard's hand before Sebastian's frame took over her vision. Everything descended quickly; Sebastian took out the guard closest to her with a rock before retrieving his sword and stabbing the other man who rushed at him. 

  Elspeth hardly had time to push herself back as Sebastian killed one guard before running to the other, placing a foot on his chest.

  "Who paid you to kill us?"

  The man was dead before he could answer, so Sebastian took a step back, sheathing his sword in frustration, turning to Elspeth.

  "Are you alright, are you hurt--?"

  "What the hell just happened?!" Elspeth shouted abruptly, "They-- these were Francis's guards, they were not random-- and he would never have--"

  Sebastian rested his hands on either side of her face, but Elspeth's mind was running wild, her eyes searched the dark forest for any sign of danger.

  "Who wants us dead, who. . . who would have. . ."

  "Half the country wants me dead," Sebastian said quietly, "My concern is who wants you harmed."

  Reality seemed to set in for her then.

  The guard had reached for her. Attacked her. That's what sent Sebastian into motion. Not an attack coming at himself. 

  Someone had tried to kill her.

  "It was Henry."

  "Elle--"

  "Someone with more power than Francis, either Catherine or Henry, yes?" Elspeth said, "Catherine would not have me killed."

  "I could not say she feels the same of me."

  Elspeth's eyes seemed to harden.

  "She would not put me in harm's way," Elspeth reiterated, "But Henry? The man who banished you for no fault of your own?"

  Sebastian sucked in a deep breath, looking around the dark snowy forest.

  "If it is my father that's after us, escaping France will prove difficult. We've no supplies, no food, weeks of travel ahead. . . and he knows where we intend to go. He could send a thousand guards to the border in a moment's notice. . ."

  "So what are we to do?"

  Sebastian looked back to her, his eyes softening as Elspeth pulled the fabric tighter around herself.

  "We travel slowly. Carefully. The castle won't be safe for us now."

  The man brushed the hair from her face, pulling the woman to his chest.

  "We will look out for each other. And we will make it to Scotland. And we will be wed."

  Elspeth only burrowed her face further into his shirt. Because as much as she wanted to marry Sebastian De Poitiers, she was terrified of the situation they had found themselves in.

  The winter was bitter and their journey would be long and treacherous. The only warmth came from him before Sebastian urged her that they must begin moving.

  Elspeth Liens grabbed one of the swords from the soldiers before mounting her horse alongside her betrothed, the two quickly took off deeper into the forest, the night their only witness.

  Neither knew what lay ahead. Of what waited in the snowy landscape, or what followed behind from the French Castle. All they knew for certain was they were together, running for their lives. 

( AUTHOR'S NOTE. )
aaaaand here we go