³⁹, HOPELESS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-nine; Hopeless
"So, tell me again. . . that you were not jealous."

DEMETRE CALLED ON Elspeth Liens three times before he knocked on her door himself

DEMETRE CALLED ON Elspeth Liens three times before he knocked on her door himself. He eyed the guards stationed outside for a moment, knocking again, and then gently pushed it open.

Her chambers were tidy but entirely devoid of life. He scanned the room, noting Elspeth's heavy winter cloak was missing, and a fresh carnation was laid across her vanity.

He swallowed his jealousy and exited the room, shutting the door behind himself before facing the guards.

  "Has she left?" Demetre questioned stonily, "The two of you are meant to accompany her, and notify me--"

  "Hugo made me swear not to tell!"

  "That's a lie!"

  Demetre's face fell, crossing his arms as the men argued.

  "She left this morning and asked Hugo to keep her secret--!"

  "Hugo?"

  Hugo's face twisted for a moment before he blurted.

  "She's rather persuasive, my lord!"

  "Ah, she promised to sneak him back some of those sweet rolls--!"

  "Quiet!"

  The guards clamped their mouths shut, facing Demetre with their heads hung low.

  "Where did she go?" Demetre sighed.

  "The courtyard, with the other Scottish ladies and Queen Mary," Hugo blurted, "My Lord, I--"

  Demetre lifted a hand to quiet Hugo, rubbing his brow for a moment.

  "The only reason I'm allowing this indiscretion to pass," Demetre sighed, "Is because your loyalty to me faltering meant your loyalty to her has strengthened. But do not let it happen again."

  The men agreed, hanging their heads as Demetre turned on his heel, leaving them alone in the silent hallway.

  Demetre stalked down the corridors of the castle, his cloak heavy on his shoulders as he nodded sparingly to guards and servants on the way. It was an especially cold winter's day in France, with snow coating the scenery and frigid air sneaking into the castle whenever it could.

  He questioned why today, of all days, Elspeth Liens chose to venture outside.

  It had been just over a month since Elspeth had joined House Langlois, three weeks since Lola's wedding and Demetre wasn't blind to how their relationship had changed.

  The reality of it rested heavily on him, each time he tried to call on her or invite her for a ride or breakfast, and was met with a polite yet far too formal decline passed along by her handmaid.