¹⁸, THE FUTURE KING OF FRANCE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter eighteen; The Future King of France
" I will love you until my last breath, Elspeth Liens. "

  ELSPETH LIENS HEARD the news on the way to her chambers

  ELSPETH LIENS HEARD the news on the way to her chambers. Francis had departed to meet with Mary, assuring Elspeth she'd receive her own explanation soon.

  But Elspeth already knew why Mary and Sebastian had left. The thing gnawing at her was that they'd been caught, that they were back. She fiddled as she went to her chambers, no doubt to await a summons, only to overhear whisperings in a closed-off alcove.

  Whisperings of an ultimatum that threatened a life she held very dear.

  She only had to fester with her own thoughts for a mere two hours before her summons finally came.

  Elspeth hurried quickly, holding her skirt up to avoid tripping as she made her way through the castle.

  She finally came to the room, pushing the doors open quickly to see Mary.  

  Wordlessly, Elspeth hurried to her, pulling the woman into a tight hug.

  "Elspeth," Mary breathed out, holding the woman tightly, "I am so sorry."

  "You have nothing to be sorry for," Elspeth said quietly, "You are trying to save the man you love."

  Elspeth pulled back, brushing the hair out of Mary's face with a pained smile.

  "I've put the one you love in danger in the process," Mary said, tears welling, "I have failed you, Elspeth."

  "As long as Sebastian breathes, you have not," Elspeth said, shaking her head, "There has to be a way to save them both, there has to be, Mary."

  Mary couldn't hold back a tear as it fell. She'd thought of a plan, one that would save them both, but it left Elspeth in a place Mary knew she never wanted. One Mary hated to put Elspeth in.

  "We can think of a way," Elspeth nodded, gently wiping Mary's tear, "Us, together, we will find one, Mary."

  "I have to marry the next king of France, and lay claim to the English throne," Mary whispered thickly, "If I marry Francis, he will die."

  Elspeth felt the breath leave her lungs as she realized what Mary implied.

  "There is no other way to spare them both," Mary let out a soft sob, "I do not wish for this any more than you do, Elspeth, and I am so sorry that this is what it has come to."

  "He would have to be King," Elspeth mumbled, stepping back only to take a seat on the stone stairs in the room. "Sebastian would have to be king."

  Mary nodded, trying to stop the tears free falling now.