³⁸, THE FIRST DANCE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-eight; The First Dance
No person deserves to go through something like that. "

  LOLA'S WEDDING HAD arrived

LOLA'S WEDDING HAD arrived. The decorations were lovely, with live flowers and warm candlelight; and Elspeth had complimented Lola's dress no short of ten times.

"They seem so happy," Elspeth smiled.

"They are," Greer noted, "And they deserve it."

Elspeth agreed, glancing at the people at her side.

It was strange, and perhaps still a bit tense, but Elspeth had tried to push through it for the company of Greer, Kenna, and Sebastian.

"Where is your benefactor, Ellie?" Greer questioned, "The two of you have been inseparable lately, it's strange not seeing him at your side."

Elspeth's smile faltered, straightening her shoulders as she looked back to the crowd.

"Lord Langlois is busy with his duties."

"What is it that he does?" Kenna questioned, "His only title is 'Lord' after all."

"What doesn't he do?" Sebastian breathed out a laugh. "Hunter, soldier, advisor."

Sebastian shook his head with a grin, but it fell once he saw three confused expressions staring at him.

"House Langlois has always had many roles to fulfill in court," Sebastian said, "With Demetre being its sole member, he's had to take most of them on himself."

Elspeth furrowed her brows at the revelation.

"That is a lot of power for one man," Greer noted after a moment, "I can hardly believe he's the only member. . . what about his parents? Aunts, uncles. . . anyone?"

Sebastian shifted uncomfortably, clearing his throat.

"Um, perhaps I've said too much already," He said, "It is Demetre's choice to tell, not my own."

"Of course," Greer noted, "Still, I'm surprised he's chosen not to attend tonight."

"He sent someone in his stead, to represent the house and its happiness for this marriage."

Elspeth looked to Sebastian at his words, her lips parting just barely.

Sebastian had no way of knowing about her and Demetre's conversation the night prior or its lasting effects on their dynamic today. He had no way of knowing that Elspeth had realized only after that conversation that she was folded into an ancient and noble house without truly knowing what it meant.

He had no way of knowing the thought of Elspeth representing House Langlois made her blood freeze.

"A perfect choice," Kenna said with a smile, "You're much prettier than him, after all, Ellie."