⁵⁴, MY FRIENDS AND I

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifty- four; My Friends And I
" We are an immovable force, Kenna. "

  IT WAS FINALLY the day of Francis's coronation

IT WAS FINALLY the day of Francis's coronation. Elspeth understood it had been an extravagant event to be a show of strength, but it still felt strange to attend such a joyous occasion so soon after the plague.

Nevertheless, she chose a deep blue gown that matched Demetre's jacket.

After all, it would be their first event as an official courtship.

"Have you told Francis yet?"

"I didn't have a chance between sparing Nostradamus and setting up today's festivities," Demetre informed regretfully, "It will be apparent, Petal."

She smiled despite herself.

"Is it silly that it makes me happy?" She said, "Showing it off like this?"

"Not a bit," Demetre said seriously, readjusting his cuffs, "I plan on telling any poor soul that tries to speak with me."

Elspeth laughed, taking his arm.

"Oh dear," She said, her expression falling, "I'll get so many dirty looks today."

"What-- why? Petal, you look heavenly."

"Not because of my dress," She blushed, swatting his arm, "Every noblewoman you've turned down will be spun up."

"Ah, worry less about that," Demetre grinned, leaning over, "Worry more about this."

Elspeth let out a giggle of surprise as his lips caught her own. He was so sweet when he wished to be; so tender and kind.

She lifted a hand to hold his face as they kissed. She wanted to savor that moment for a lifetime.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end. The kiss broke and they had to set out for the festivities.

It would be a day to remember, at least.

Elspeth walked through the grounds on Demetre's arm. Their attire made a statement that garnered the eyes of many nobles. But Elspeth was encapsulated in the bright mood Demetre found himself in; one that rarely appeared outside of their wing in the castle.

"Oh, and what is this?"

Elspeth grinned at Kenna's teasing tone, she approached with Sebastian and both wore amused smiles.

"If I hardly knew better, I'd say the two of you make a quite handsome couple," Kenna said, raising a brow, "But I know my dearest childhood friend would tell me if something like that were to happen."

Elspeth rolled her lips.

"You absolute tease!"

"Kenna, quiet!" Elspeth laughed as Kenna grabbed her arms, "Everything happened rather quickly--"