23. The oracle

Now that they had survived all the trials, the long corridor led them to the oracle. Nerina excitedly told the others how they were captured by the members of Loyalty and locked in a cage. No one understood why Elgatto was beaten; what reason did they have for it? But Tobi's group also had stories to tell, and they couldn't get enough of Dupe's magic powers; their loud cheerfulness echoed far in the desolate corridors.

Suddenly, the elf girl saw Elgatto touching his neck with his hand, but he couldn't find the necklace there. He searched nervously, then stopped when Aura reached his side.

"When we had to swim at the beginning of the trial, I saw a necklace with a ring in the water, but I don't know if it was yours or if I just imagined it..." Aura said.

"It was probably mine because I can't find it anywhere... but it's not important anymore," he replied, smiling hesitantly at the girl as if he wanted to say something. Still, they entered the large hall, and the oracle was on the other side, sitting on a throne.

Morte went ahead, not noticing that the others were falling behind, then speechless with astonishment.

"Is that really the bald singer?" whispered Aura, but she didn't wait for an answer because everyone could see it was her.

"Have you already met the oracle?" Morte asked when he heard the whispers. The oracle, a figure of awe and mystery, patiently waited until everyone fell silent and every gaze was fixed on her. The group, filled with curiosity and trepidation, couldn't help but be captivated by her presence.

"Nerina, will you tell us what happened? Why was I in Aden?" said the bald singer, I mean the oracle, with her mysterious, velvety voice.

Everyone stared at Nerina, who reluctantly began to tell her story: "Where do I start? Perhaps because we wizards had long suspected that something strange was happening down here, we had a bad feeling. And when Morte wanted to buy a map, I knew that coming down to the sepulcher was dangerous, but I didn't warn him, and I felt terrible guilt. I was glad you found us and we could join you; I felt I could make it up by not telling the heir about the danger."

"You practically begged to join us; we had to plead with you to join!" laughed Tobi.

"I didn't know anything about this!" Keenan apologized.

Nerina lowered her eyes and continued: "When we came to Aden and visited the local store with Dupe, I secretly arranged a meeting with a powerful wizard, and I know it's forbidden, but with him, we summoned the oracle. I'm sorry, but I couldn't think of anything better. I felt you needed to know what was happening, and maybe you could help prevent people from getting lost here."

"By summoning me into your world, you summoned not just me but also opened a gate through which entities come and go freely. This has some benefits; for example, I could manifest Tobi here; without him, you would still be searching for Morte. But we still don't know what terrible creatures have escaped from here, over which I have no power. I am just an oracle and only have a little authority here. But I stayed because I felt I needed to help you."

Shrouded in an aura of enigma, the oracle rose from her throne and descended the few steps to stand before the small group. She was much shorter than they had anticipated, adding to the mystique that surrounded her.

"But let's focus on your problems and on Damian now. Your enemies have caused much damage here because now that they have the medal, they go through the gates and modify the trial. This is how your three companions ended up in the cages. I must admit they have a sense of humor because even your companions had to be freed. And because I was annoyed with them, I helped Dupe and Aura with their abilities. And I will show you where they are so you can retrieve the medal. But I have a condition, too."

Adjusting her shimmering dress, the oracle looked questioningly at the group, especially scrutinizing Morte.

"I'm not waiting for an answer from Morte but from the others," the oracle said, her voice filled with sternness and concern. "Morte, you already know my prophecy, and now I feel the dark, evil power in you even more than before. I hope that this moment, when this little group risked their lives for you to free you, will stay with you, and in your dark hours, you will remember it and do the right thing. So, my condition is this: your companions will decide if you are worthy of being their king. As soon as you leave the sepulcher, battles await you, which you will win but lose your soul if you are not careful. Drunk with success, you could easily go astray. So, now that you know how unstable Morte is, what do you think? Do you still support him?" The group, their thoughts and feelings in turmoil, exchanged glances, each wrestling with doubts and convictions.

First, she stood before Tobi and waited for the answer as she looked deeply into his eyes.

Unwavering in his faith, Tobi glanced at Morte and replied with conviction, "I won't change my opinion; I see the good in him, and I know he can do good. I support him, no matter what!"

The oracle stood before Dupe: "And what do you think?"

The dragon squirmed uncomfortably, "I haven't known the heir for long, but Tobi is willing to die for him, which means he is important to him, and I trust him."

The oracle stepped in front of the dark elf: "And you?"

Elgatto straightened up and answered, "When I fought beside Morte, I felt he was watching out for the others; he was a good teammate, so I would also trust him."

The oracle didn't move on; she lingered before him, "I see you've left something out, but you've found something else immediately." Then she looked at Aura, who, in her embarrassment, didn't know if this was already the question, but then she thought it was best to answer.

"I support Morte because of Tobi!"

The oracle still looked at the girl and asked, "And do the others think the same? Is there anyone who doesn't support him?" Since no one answered, the oracle continued, "I was afraid of this. Well then. I had planned to close this place forever so no one could enter or leave it anymore. But you have one hour to retrieve the medal and to leave. Tobi, you will hear where you need to go; I will lead you there. But that's all the help you will get. If you can't leave, you will stay here forever."

"And what about Tobi?" Morte spoke up. "Will he stay here forever, or will you allow him to rest peacefully?"

The oracle smiled, "Well, there is indeed something there in the depths of your soul; something good is budding... you surprised me. I will release Tobit; whatever happens, he can rest in peace. Is that acceptable?"

Morte nodded, but Nerina said, "Just now, you said that you are just an oracle and have no power here, yet now you speak as if you are above all..."

The oracle became terribly angry and swiftly appeared before the girl, saying, "Not only did you disturb my peace by summoning me into your world, but now you also question my word? Go through that door and disappear from my sight. You have one hour!"

No one dared to object; they already knew that the one they had met was not simply an oracle. Passing through the door, they awaited guidance from Tobit, who, albeit in a bad mood, hurriedly made his way through the corridors to lead his companions to Damian and his team.