21. The trial, part 1.

"This is going to be weird, but in the first chamber, we have to swim down to the bottom of the water and go through there," Morte said, trying to remember the next step.

Morte led the way, and each of them entered the greenish-grey water. It was so clean that they could see the bottom, the door where they needed to trespass.

While swimming, Aura noticed something sparking in the water. As she swam closer, she saw a necklace with a ring hanging from it. She tried to reach it but couldn't breathe anymore, so she hurried through the door after the others. She gasped for breath and wondered if what she saw was real—Elagtto's ring. Or was it just her mind that tricked her? But how is this possible? Better not think about it.

Fifty soldiers stood before them, imposing figures casting long shadows in the dimly lit chamber. The air in the catacombs was tense as Aura, Dupe, Morte, and Tobi braced themselves for the impending clash with the heavily armored soldiers.

"Get ready; this is the first stage, but be prepared after we go through the soldiers. We need to run as we can!" Morte, indicating the plan, stood in front of the group.

As the soldiers charged forward with a thunderous roar, Aura unleashed her healing magic, bathing Morte and Dupe in a shimmering light that bolstered their strength and resilience.

Meanwhile, Dupe, finding his magic abilities, unleashed a torrent of elemental energy, sending waves of fire and lightning crashing into the ranks of soldiers with devastating force. The soldiers staggered and faltered under the onslaught, their heavy armor proving little defense against the dragon's magical onslaught.

Morte sprang into action, his rapier flashing in the dim light as he engaged the soldiers in swift and deadly combat. With each precise strike, he cut down his adversaries with expert precision, his skill and determination inspiring his companions to fight on.

Though unable to wield a physical weapon, Tobi used his spectral powers to sow confusion and chaos among the soldiers, causing their ranks to falter and break as they struggled to contend with the ghostly apparition.

Despite the soldiers' formidable numbers and heavy armor, the combined efforts of Aura, Dupe, Morte, and Tobi proved too much for them to overcome. With each passing moment, the tide of battle turned to favor our heroes until the last soldiers fell before them.

As the dust settled from their hard-fought victory against the soldiers, they faced the next stage of the trial: a narrow corridor that stretched out before them like a dark and ominous tunnel.

With their adrenaline still pumping from the battle, the group wasted no time steeling themselves for the challenge ahead. The corridor loomed ominously before them, its walls closing in on all sides, giving the distinct impression of being swallowed up by the earth itself.

"Quickly now!" Morte called out, taking the lead as he charged into the narrow passage, his rapier ready. Aura, Dupe, and Tobi followed closely behind, their footsteps echoing loudly against the stone floor as they raced to keep pace with their determined companion.

The corridor seemed to stretch endlessly, its twists and turns leading them deeper and deeper into the heart of the catacombs. Shadows danced and flickered along the walls, casting eerie shapes that seemed to reach out and grasp at them as they passed.

The air grew thicker and more oppressive with each passing moment, weighing down on them like a suffocating blanket. Beads of sweat formed on their brows as they pushed themselves to go faster, driven by the urgency of their mission and the knowledge that time was running out.

Suddenly, the corridor seemed to narrow even further, threatening to crush them in its suffocating embrace. With a collective gasp, the group redoubled their efforts, their hearts pounding as they sprinted forward with all their might.

But just as it seemed they could go no further, they burst through the other side of the corridor, stumbling out into a small chamber bathed in faint light. Panting and exhausted, they collapsed to the ground, their chests heaving as they caught their breath.

"We made it," Aura whispered, relief flooding through her weary limbs as she looked around at her companions. "But what comes next?"

They glanced around the chamber but did not see anything special. Morte came in front of them: "There are trapdoors. Our steps activate them, and there will be a tree of them."

As the group pressed forward, their footsteps echoing through the chamber, they soon encountered the next stage of the trial: a series of trapdoors set into the floor, each one hiding a deadly pit of sharpened spikes below.

Aura's heart sank as she surveyed the treacherous obstacles before them.

"We'll have to jump," Morte said, his voice tinged with urgency. "Be careful, Aura!"

With a shared nod of understanding, Morte retook the lead, his eyes narrowing in determination as he prepared to leap over the first trapdoor. He cleared the gap effortlessly with a powerful bound, landing safely on the other side.

Aura jumped next to him, their movements precise and calculated as they navigated the perilous path. The rest of the group followed suit in the air. But as Morte reached the third trapdoor, disaster struck.

The trapdoor gave way beneath him with a sickening creak, sending Morte into the darkness below. Without hesitation, Dupe and Aura rushed forward, reaching out to grab hold of their fallen comrade before it was too late.

With a desperate lunge, they managed to catch hold of Morte's outstretched hand, pulling him back from the brink of certain death.

"Thank you, you saved my life again!" said Morte, realizing there was no time to wait. "There will be more soldiers here, let's go!"

With a shared nod of agreement, the group pressed on, their footsteps echoing through the chamber as they moved closer to their goal. But as they rounded the final corner, their worst fears were realized.

More soldiers were waiting for them, their weapons drawn and their eyes filled with malice as they prepared to strike. With no time to waste, the group braced themselves for battle, knowing that their only chance of survival was fighting with all their strength.

As the first clash of steel rang out through the chamber, Aura felt a surge of determination coursing through her veins. They may be outnumbered and outmatched, but as long as they stood together, they would never give up hope.