At the defensive sound the other two turn to the snarling E and then take its example, lips curling and fangs glinting with slick red blood.

"Now." Kaien states calmly.

Swiftly, I lift up my gun and pull the trigger. The bullet finds its mark, right through the temple. I go to shoot the other only to find its head rolling around on the carpet. Kaien had beheaded it, that only left the snarling one in which Kaien deals with promptly.

This experienced E is harder to kill, but Kaien manages it without a scratch or bite to show for it.

The E's body drops to the ground, joining its brethren. Kaien's sword sits deeply within its stomach.

Kaien pulls out the sword and wipes the blood off of it on the carpet before slipping it back into its sheath.

"What the hell were level Es doing here?" I curse under my breath.

Kaien still hears this, though. "Often when investigating crime scenes level Es can be found not far from it. They're like vultures, sucking up the leftovers." Kaien says morbidly. "Have you not been on a case before?" At this he turns from where he was staring intently at the level Es' bodies to face me.

My eyes narrow. "No, I haven't."

"And why is that?"

I almost liked him better when he was being a naive fool.

My defenses go up and anger is once again my companion. "I'm the Hunter Association's bitch. I do only the dirty work."

I don't explain any further. I don't tell him that I joined the association late and I definitely don't explain the reasons why I did. I stated earlier that I hate nosy humans, but it is really just nosy people in general.

At my words Kaien's brown eyes widen, maybe that startled him enough to shut him up. Instead he clucks like a mother hen. "Hitomi! Language!"

My eyes scorch but I take a deep breath, letting it out from my nose. It helps expel the anger some.

I wave my hand flippantly. "It does not matter. Let's just move on with the investigation."

Kaien frowns but agrees. I make sure to keep my distance from him as we search around the room for any evidence on who or which vampire family conducted the murder. Of course I already know who did it, but I keep my mouth sewn shut on the matter as instructed by Makishima.

"They are smart." Kaien admits after around an hour or two of searching through the house thoroughly.

"Of course they are." I respond. "A case involving a vampire is only sloppily done when it involves a level E or," I pause, "they want to be found."

"You're clever Hitomi!" Kaien beams. "And I thought you said you've never done a case before."

"I haven't." I leave it at that, moving on to another subject. "Since these vampire or vampires did not leave behind not a scrap of evidence we should look at this from a different perspective."

"I agree." Kaien says. "Perhaps we should mark down the different vampires or vampire families that have been known to get their hands dirty with things like this in the past. We can create a suspect list out of that." He suggests.

I bob my head in agreement. It is as good a plan as any.

"But I don't remember every single vampire and their lineage!" Kaien frowns.

I sigh, rubbing my eyes in frustration. "I-I have an aunt. She owns a book of vampire lineages. She makes sure to update it as well." I say, dreading the words as they come from my mouth. I'd rather not involve my family in this nasty business.

The blonde's brown eyes widen and his hands fly to his cheeks. "That's so uber rare!"

Uber? What the hell does that even mean?

"Uh, yes. I suppose so."

"It really is! Only the first class vampires and only some of the nobles have them!"

I shrug, unimpressed. At least it will be helpful.

Kaien looks at me in shock. "Don't you think that's amazing?!"

I once again shrug. "It's just another bloodsucker's item."

"Hitomi! That is such a derogatory term!"

I raise a brow. "They are demon spawn, I can call them what I want."

Kaien shakes his head rapidly. "No, they aren't. Not all of them are bad."

I can't believe my ears. "Yes, they are! All they want is our blood and human blood. We're their prey, Kaien. Nothing can change that."

Kaien opens his mouth to speak, but I stop him with a piercing glare. "If you continue this argument I swear you'll end up dead by the end of it."

Kaien Cross, top vampire hunter for centuries, is a vampire peace supporter. I hate him more than ever.