I wiped away my tears and picked up my phone. I wanted to call Jace, but I couldn't. I had lost my best friend.

I threw my phone onto the ground, when I heard the doorbell ring. Maybe Lillian had come back to apologize. I walked downstairs and opened the door, only to see Jace.

"Oh my god, Jace," I exclaimed, jumping onto him. He caught me.

"Woah, Hazel, what's up?" he said, setting me down.

I giggled and blushed.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I'm just so glad you're here. I need someone to talk to."

"You know I'm always here," he said, smiling at me. I blushed.

"Okay, come out back." I said. 

I took his hand as we walked outside and sat in the garden.

This is where we sat when we had our first kiss, I thought.

"Hazel," Jace said, "look. This is the place where we had our first kiss. Our first real kiss."

I blushed.

"You remembered," I said quietly.

"Of course I remembered," he said, "I remember everything about us."

"Jace," I said, "I have a question."

"Go ahead. Ask anything."

"When did you first know that you liked me?" I asked.

"Oh, this is an easy one," he said, "I don't know if you remember, but in sixth grade we were partners for an assignment. You know, the writing one."

"I think," I said, "wasn't it the assignment where we had to write a scene for two people."

"Yeah," he said, "anyway, we were planning the characters, and you said, 'Jace, we should totally make it a scene about two kids who finally make it to dream land'."

"I said that?" I felt my cheeks turn red.

"Yeah," he laughed, "it was the cutest thing you ever said."

"That's when you knew?"

"No," he said, "I told you 'I don't want to do that girly stuff. We should do one about superheroes'. You didn't like that idea. We both agreed that we should compromise, so we kept thinking. At one moment, you dropped your pencil. I picked it up and handed it to you. When you grabbed it, our hands accidentally touched. That's when I knew."

I blushed. On the inside, I felt my heart drop.

"Aw, that's cute," I said, squeezing his cheeks like he was a little baby.

"Yeah, yeah," he laughed, pushing my hand away, "when did you know that you liked me?"

"I knew that I liked you when we had our first kiss," I said, "right here."

"Really?" he asked, "because that's when I knew that I loved you."

I looked into his beautiful brown eyes. I slowly leaned in and kissed him.

"I love you, too," I whispered.

"Is that what you wanted to talk to me about?" he asked.

My smile slowly faded away.

"No," I said, holding onto my knees, "Lillian and I got into a fight. A big one."

"Hazel," he said, "I'm so sorry. What happened?"

I told him how Lillian had said that I was ignoring her. I told him how she hadn't cared at all about everything that has been happening to me. I told him all my feelings.

I felt a tear fall down and I looked away from Jace.

Jace touched my cheek and wiped away my tears.

"Hazel, it's okay," he said, "let it out. You can cry. It's better to cry it out then to hide your feelings."

Feeling Jace's hand on me cheek, calmed me down, but I still felt like crying. I leaned on Jace's shoulder and cried. 

He hugged me tight as I kept crying.

"Hazel, it's all gonna be okay," he said, "I promise. Everything will turn out fine."

I cried for five minutes, surprised that Jace hadn't moved.

After I was all cried out, I rested my head on Jace's shoulder as he put his arm around me.

"It's all gonna be okay," he said, "and let me tell you something. I know you don't mean to ignore her, but maybe she feels that way because she doesn't know what's going on."

"How wouldn't she?"

"I didn't tell anyone about the incident," he said, "I respect your privacy."

"So..." I said, "what are you saying?"

"I'm not saying to apologize," he said, "I'm saying to talk things out with her. You guys are best friends. I know you'd never mean to ignore her, and she'd never mean to hurt you."

"But..." I started, "you're right. I should talk to her."

"That's good," he said, "you two are best friends, and I hate to see this happen to you two."

"But not right now," I said, "I think we both need some space."

Jace and I talked for two hours until he finally left. I decided that now was a good time to talk to Lillian.

I nervously knocked on the door. Lillian answered. She stood there with no expression on her face.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"Lillian," I said, "let me talk to you. Please."