Chapter 19

HAZEL P.O.V.

School went by like a lightning bolt.

The whole week I was dying to see the premier of our show, but so many things were distracting me. There was no homework this week, and Jace and I hung out everyday. I was sitting on the couch reading a book when the doorbell rang.

I opened the door and saw Lillian.

"Hey, Lillian," I said.

"Oh, wow, you're actually talking to me," she said sarcastically.

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, for the past two weeks you've been IGNORING me!"

"What?" I was so confused. Have I really been ignoring her? No. She can't be saying this. Does she know what I just went through? I thought she would care.

"You've been ignoring me!" she shouted, "are you deaf?"

"Do you even know what I've been going through?"

"You? Are you seriously making this all about you?"

"Lillian, how could you be saying this to me?"

"You know," she started, "we used to be so close. Then you started dating Jace. You wouldn't come near me, after that!"

I got so pissed off when she said that! Did she not care what Noah did to me? 

"I get it!" I said, "you're jealous of me and Jace!"

"What?" she shouted, "how could you just put words into my mouth like that? I'm not jealous of you and Jace!"

"Oh, bullshit," I said, "do you know what I just went through?"

"And it all goes back to YOU!" 

"I thought best friends were supposed to care?!" I cried.

"I should be saying that to YOU!"

"Is that what you really think? That I don't care? Well, listen to yourself," I shouted, "a best friend wouldn't treat someone this way!"

"Then maybe we shouldn't be best friends!" she shouted, tears forming in her eyes.

We stood in silence. I looked down. I couldn't make eye contact with her. She couldn't have just said that... no. She couldn't. She... she... she did.

"Fine," I said, still looking down, "then leave."

There was a pause. Nobody said a word in these few seconds.

"Fine," she said, "goodbye, Hazel."

She turned away, her long brown hair blowing behind her. Her boots clicked against the sidewalk as I saw her run back home.

I slammed the door shut and started to walk upstairs... but I didn't. I turned around. My hand was touching the doorknob. I looked out the window. Lillian glanced back at me. 

No, I thought to myself.

I let go of the doorknob and started to walk back. I watched as Lillian started to cry, running away. Running back home.

She was gone.

I ran into my room and slammed the door, crying into my pillow.

I don't get it! How could Lillian be doing this to me? I went through something terrible! First, there was the breakup with Noah. Then, the fiasco with Isabela and Jace. After that, Noah threatened me and my friends, punched me, and tried to have sex with me. It's like Lillian really didn't care. At all.