Chapter 11

"I promised I'd be with you forever," said Noah, "and I always keep my promises. I'm sorry, Hazel I love you."

He leaned in to kiss me, but I moved my head to the side.

"H-hazel?" he stuttered.

"Noah, you should go," I said.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm saying you should go," I said, "I don't have feelings for you anymore."

"Hazel, I said I was sorry."

"I know," I said, rubbing my arm, "and I forgive you, but can't we just be friends?"

"But don't you want things to go back to the way they were?" he asked, gazing into my eyes, the cute way he always did back when we were dating.

"No.." I said, "I like someone else."

"What?"

"Well," I started, "I have a new boyfriend. I love him a lot. I don't want to let him go. Can't we-"

"Who is this boyfriend?"

"It's Jace," I said, "he's always been there for me and he's always liked me... I have just been so dumb not to notice. And I really love him."

"I can't believe this," he said, looking away angrily.

"I'm sorry," I started, "but we can still be friends. Can't we just be the friends? Please?"

"Hazel..." he said, looking at me, "I still love you. I want to be your friend, but I don't think I'd be able to take it. I can't be your friend... I love you too much."

"Come on, Noah. There are so many girls. Can't you move on?"

"I don't think I can," he said, "it's either we go back to the way things were or we never talk to each other again."

"Noah..." I said, "I don't have a choice now. I tried to be your friend... but I guess we can't ever talk to each other again."

He looked really sad, almost as he was about to cry. Then his expression changed from sad to... well, not really any expression. He wasn't happy, sad, angry, annoyed... the look on his face was tolerant. He looked up at me and nodded his head.

"Fine," he said, walking down the stairs, "this is your mistake, not mine. I won't be sorry, but you will be."

He got in his car and drove home. I walked upstairs and shoved my face into my pillow, crying until my head hurt.

I went downstairs and got a glass of ice cold water. I drank every last drop and started to walk back upstairs. I turned on my playlist and put the song "I Wish You Would" by Taylor Swift on repeat, the same lyrics ringing in my head.

I wish you would come back

Wish I never hung up the phone like I did

And I wish you knew that I'll never forget you as long as I live

And I wish you were right here, right now, it's all good

I wish you would

I didn't want to fall in love with Noah... I just wanted him to be my friend again. I didn't love him anymore, but why did he have to make me chose between love and hate?

NEXT MORNING

I walked into the school building, afraid to see Noah. I walked to my locker and unlocked it, collecting my textbooks for History. I started walking to class until I saw something. I hid so no one could see me.

Noah was walking towards Jace in a threatening way, looking down on him. Jace looked a bit scared, but I could tell he didn't wanna show it.

"Hey, you," said Noah.

"Noah, what's going on?" Jace asked, "I thought we were good friends."

"Why would you do this to me?"

"Do what?"

Noah started pushing Jace against the locker.

"I still love Hazel. You tried to date her. You think it's totally cool. Guess what? it's not. Hazel is my girlfriend. I made a mistake and guess what? She said she loves you and not me anymore. Well, you better break up with her or I will hurt you in ways that haven't been invented yet."

"Noah..."

"Shut up, shithead."

He shoved Jace against the locker and walked away.

During History class, all I could think about was Noah beating up against Jace and his reaction. After class, I walked out of the classroom and saw Jace standing there. His beautiful brown eyes watering with... tears?

"Hazel," he said, "I'm breaking up with you."

"What?" I said, "why? What hap-"

"I'm sorry, Hazel."

He ran away, tears falling. I ran into the bathroom and cried.

I lost Jace.