Chapter 5

HAZEL P.O.V.

"Hazel!" Lillian shouted behind me, "Hazel! Wait up!"

I kept running. I didn't look back even once. I kept running and running.

"Hazel! Slow down!"

She grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"Hazel?"

"What do you want?" I practically yelled.

"Why are you running? What's going on?"

"Nothing!" I said, trying to let my arm loose, "let me go!"

She let go of my arm and I ran into the bathroom. I ran into a stall and locked it. I heard the door open.

"Hazel, where are you?" she asked. I didn't reply. "Hazel, come out here right now."

I ignored her, but it didn't matter. She knocked on my stall.

"Hazel, I know you're in there."

"WHAT? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?" I yelled at her.

She stood right in front of my stall and didn't say a word.

"Hazel?" she said finally, "what is wrong with you?"

"Leave me alone."

"Not until you tell me what happened."

"Leave me alone," I repeated, more sternly.

"Tell me what happened."

"LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!!" I shouted at her.

After a pause, Lillian said to me, "Hazel, you never say that word."

"Does it sound like I care?" I said to her, "why the hell won't you leave me alone?"

"Because I'm your best friend," she said, "and if you don't open the stall door and talk to me right now... I'll... I'll tell the principal you swore at me."

I opened the stall door and looked at her.

"WHAT?" I screamed.

"Tell me what the hell is going on!"

"Nothing!" I shouted. I took a few deep breaths and calmed myself down. I quietly repeated, "nothing."

"It's something... tell me."

"It has something to do with Noah..."

"Did that shithead break up with you?" she said angrily, "I'm gonna kill him."

"No... just the opposite."

"What do you mean?" she asked me.

"Well..." I said, "th-this... um.... this morning.... um.... Noah... well... um.... Noah took me by the waterfall."

"The one near the school?"

"Yeah. Well, he took me by the waterfall and.... he told me that he.... um... that he loved me."

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Calm down," I said to her, "no need to scream."

"Oh my god!!!!" she exclaimed, jumping up and down, "then... why are you mad?"

"I'm not mad. I'm just.... um.... confused."

"Why confused? You know how much you like him."

"I don't know..."

"Why? He's the only person you talk about."

"Yeah, well, maybe..." I stuttered, trying to find the right words, "can I tell you another secret?"

"Of course you can," she said, "you've told me plenty of secrets and I've kept them all."

"That's true," I said.

"Well, what's your secret?"

"Okay, so, remember how I said Jace got me that audition with Dan Schneider for Henry Danger?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, after the audition, me and Jace went into my garden."

"Uh huh..."

"And I got a message that... that I got the part."

"OH MY GOD! CONGRATULATIONS!" she shouted, giving me an extremely tight hug. "I'm so proud of you! Why would that confuse you?"

"No.... it's...."

"Seriously," she interrupted, "life has to be perfect for you!"

"No, Lillian-"

"I mean, you are in love AND you have a part on a TV show!"

"Just listen-"

"Do you know how good this is for your singing career?"

"LILLIAN! SHUT UP AND LISTEN!"

"Woah, calm down."

"Do you want to know why I am so confused?"

"Yes, why?"

I took a deep breath.

"Jace and I were sitting in the garden when I got the message. I hugged him tight when I got the message that I got the part. Then.... we stopped hugging but we didn't let go of each other. I looked into his eyes," I paused for a quick second and smiled, "he has such beautiful, brown eyes. His beautiful blonde hair was blowing in the wind. He leaned in and I leaned. We kissed."

"YOU KISSED?" she said stunned.

"Yes..." I paused, "and I'm just realizing right now that I loved it." I looked at Lillian. "You were right," I said, "I... I think I like Jace."

"OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!!"

"But you can't tell Noah!"

"Well, what are you gonna do about him saying that he loves you?"

"I don't know, but do you swear you won't tell a single soul?"

"I swear," she said to me.

"Thanks, Lillian," I said, "you know how much I love you, right?"

"I love you, too," she said, hugging me.

The bell rang.

"Crap!" I said, "I'm gonna be late for class!"

"Hey, Hazel," she said to me, "how about I say that we were in the bathroom because you felt sick."

"Thanks, Lillian."

"No problem," she said, "anyways, I'm always late for class."

I laughed as we walked back to class. I ended up going home early because of Lillian's lie. All I did was think of Jace kissing me... and if I love Noah.