Chapter 24

It was so confusing talking to the lady at the entrance. I was so incompetent. After a while we figured it out and I accidentally gave her too many of the papers. I gave her a pile since it was tied together. She untied it, took two papers and gave us change as she called it.

Now we have a purple dollar with a fifty on it. How many more colors are there? Finding the room wasn't easy either. Sylvian couldn't help since he can't understand anything. He also refuses to drink the magic liquid and said it's his life goal to live longer than me.

The room is cute. It has a... sorta big bed? If humans are so tall and round, shouldn't the beds be bigger? It can fit two people, I guess. There's a black square on the wall across from the bed. It's huge and shiny. There's a door that leads to a weird looking bathroom and a big, wide window on the wall opposite from the entrance door.

"I always wanted to see a human city. That's what I was trying to do when I was kidnapped that tragic night, all those years ago. It was pouring rain and there were many horses running at me. I won many of the fights but lost from the sheer incompetence of my arms, for they got tired.

He hums and sets the bag on the bed. I tell the best story of my life about my tragic downfall and all he does is hum. Not very proper of him. I sit on the edge of the bed and observe him do his thing.

"Why did you run away?"

"To get unicorns."

"What's the real reason?"

"I was bored."

He hands me all the bottles I stole that the old pants and dress are wrapped around. They did their service well.

"No one runs away from a whole kingdom for fun."

"You did."

He puts a book on the bed before putting the bag beside it. He takes off his boots and lays on the bed, flipping through the pages before reading one.

"That was different. The curiosity has been eating away at me for years. My heart yearned for all the answers my mind came with. I was getting rid of the eternal darkness my brain trapped me in."

"Mhm."

My goodness. I'm being very poetic right now. It's hunger, it's changing me.

"What are you reading?"

"A book."

"That's ludicrous."

He nods.

"Who wrote it?"

"Someone."

"Did a human write it? They write... interesting things."

"No."

He really is bad at responding.

"What's it about?"

"Things."

This man.

"Why don't you tell me anything?"

"I have to stay mysterious."

"Fine. I'll be mysterious too."

He side-eyes me. I get up and walk to the weird bathroom. Everything in it is different. I look at myself in the plain mirror. Someone else is watching me in it. There's no color in her skin, her face is duller. There are dark bags under her eyes and her hair is a mess. It isn't shiny or soft anymore. It feels like hay as I run my fingers through it as best I can. There are too many knots. My poor hair. I walk back to the foot of the bed.

"Are you good with hair?"

"Depends."

"On?"

"The hair."