Chapter 19

My breathing quickens. This has to be a figment of my imagination. The darkness is messing with me.

I was going to get out of here.

They smell like... I can't smell anything besides dust and stone, the cool air that blows between the cracks in the wall. If I don't move, they won't notice me. I'm not here. This isn't happeni-

"What are you waiting for, princess? We're running away, time is of the essence."

I'm too scared to blink. This could be someone tricking me. The figure walks over, grabs my free hand and pulls me to the stairs and walks down them. I almost trip on every step. My mind is in every spot possible. This could be him, a fake, someone that wants to hurt me.

This can't be him. The silhouette isn't the same, there's no hood, the body shape isn't the same. No gloves either. Someone's bare hand is holding mine and kidnapping me. I can't stop myself from shaking.

Once at the bottom of the stairs, the stranger opens the door and pulls me out. Oh gods, help me. I cannot fathom anything or move. I'm stuck here in horror; this is the end of my short-lived life.

Those hauntingly beautiful white and blue eyes are staring at me.

"How...?"

My voice is much quieter than I wanted. I pull my hand away. I'm so truly scared. He could end my life with a few words. This all has to be a trap.

"If we weren't hiding from the guards, I would put a blanket down and explain everything to you, but right now I cannot. So, stop being petrified and run away with me. I'll tell you later when there is time, okay?"

I knew it! I'm so smart. I deserve a prize. Before I can get myself to respond, he grabs my hand again and pulls me along with him into the forest. The forest is so thick, how could anyone run in it?

He stops right at the inside of the tree line and holds a bag in front of me.

"Wrap everything you're carrying in your dress, put it in this bag. You will then hold this bag and I'll carry you."

I do what he says. Putting all the bottles and my shoes in the dress, wrapping it into itself and putting the giant ball of ruined fluff in the bag. He ties the bag, gives it to me and picks me up. Instead of running, he quickly walks.

"You're putting me in a trap. This is a trap."

"You think I'd waste my night to stress you out? I have better things to do. Now stop talking."

After the longest time, I see moonlight flooding the ground where the forest ends at the wall. Behind a particularly thick tree, is a gate. It is much smaller than the other. I wrap my arm across his shoulders when he opens it, using the hand that was across my back.

I'm so mortified, relieved and stressed all together. This could either be the end of me or an escape. The person that betrayed my trust and the one that accompanied me almost every night and showed me beautiful locations are the same.

I thought I was a good actor, goodness no, he is much better. I have no idea what to believe. Which person is he? Is he rude or outgoing? This is a mess.

He faces the kingdom while walking backwards for a while. The side is beautiful too. Most of the view is the castle. After getting quite far, he turns back around.

"Are you sure you aren't going to kill me?"

He nods.

"Who are you?"

He shrugs. Very responsive, indeed.

"I'm guessing you aren't from another kingdom, trying to steal me to take over kingdoms?"

"You'll have to find out."

The same voice. This is driving me mad.

"I still don't believe that you and mystery man are the same. I was right, though. It's just so hard to believe."

He looks at me for a second before putting me down without saying anything. I almost fell. He's such a polite gentleman.

"Everything has two sides," he mutters as he takes the bag from me.

He throws it over his shoulders and keeps walking. I follow him.

"How did the mute thing work? I'm so confused. Everyone believes you are, but you clearly aren't."

"I was."

This is so confusing. It's too late at night to be thinking... but I must know.

"Where are we going?"

"A surprise."

This is the best my body has felt since everything has happened. I still feel horrible but it's better.

"Why did you shoot me instead of just letting me go?"

"It wouldn't have been as fun."

"This is fun to you? You're crazy."

He nods.

"How do you know sign language?"

"You ask too many questions. Stop."

"But you know everything, I know nothing of what's happening."

"Not even the gods know everything, princess. Now stop talking before they find us and execute us."

That isn't scary, not at all. At least the scenery is beautiful. Open land with stars covering the dark, ever going sky. There's a tree every here and there, the land isn't flat. We walk for what feels like forever. The moon gets higher till it is passing us on the left.

If my leg wasn't healed, I would have been gone long, long ago. The silence is weird. There are crickets hiding in the shin-high grass, our footsteps too, but that's it. No wind to make the grass dance or trees wave. There is no reason for this silence.

I can't stop glancing at him this whole... trip? Whatever it is. He doesn't seem happy, mad nor sad, just discontent. He could be faking this too. To call me a liar when he faked being a whole person or two persons. All I did was try to convince the king that I'd help him so I could get away or overthrow him at an opportunity.

Every few times I'd look at him, he would catch me and raise a brow. I have to get answers. This is maddening, tomfoolery.

He halts, unties the bag and hands me a side. I hold it and he dig through it before pulling out a scroll. He hands it to me and ties the bag back up once I take it. He takes the scroll and unrolls it. It's the map with the plans to take over my kingdom.

He looks behind us and around before pointing to a degree towards the right.

"Run."

A/N: Antyone surprised? Do y'all think he's helping her or is poor Vivienne in another trap?