Chapter 54: Memorial

TW: death, grief

Pov y/n

The ride to the memorial is very silent. Laura and the kids are in a different car than Mom, Wanda and I. It's not too far away, so we don't have to fly there.

Wanda is sitting next to me in the backseat while Mom is driving. Wanda fiddles a little with her hands in her lap. I look over at her and as if she feels my eyes, she looks into my direction as well. I offer her my hand and she gladly takes it. Her fingers start to play with the engagement ring on my finger. I still look at her, wondering what's going on in her head.

"We are almost there. I don't know exactly how many people will be there but we should be seated in one of the front rows. Tony already told me that I will have to say a few words." Mom informs us and I take my eyes off Wanda.

"I might have to go around and talk to some people but you two don't have to do that and if you need me, just call for me or text me and I'll be right there." Her eyes meet mine through the rearview mirror and I nod.

"Okay." Is the only thing I reply. I have no real clue how this is gonna go but I know that I will cry, so I packed some tissues.

We drive onto a parking lot and I can already see Pepper, Tony and Morgan. All of them wear black, just like we do. Wanda decided on a black, loose dress while Mom picked one that is a bit tighter. I decided to wear black jeans and a black blouse, not comfortable with a dress today.

We park and get out of the car. A wave of sadness hits me and I feel my eyes getting teary, even though nothing happened yet.
I grab Wanda's hand to have something to steady myself with. She intertwines our fingers while looking around.

We wait for Laura and the kids to arrive before we walk up to Tony together. He greets Laura and the kids, talking to them about how sorry he is for their loss. Morgan gives me a shy smile that I try to return.
While the others talk, I just look around and watch a lot of people assemble in front of the hall we booked for this.
The Avengers and family members meet at a different entrance a little away from the rest, so we won't get swarmed and have some privacy.

It's getting harder to hold back the tears because the atmosphere that's laying above us is so heavy and dark. Lila looks around and when she makes eye contact with me, there is a questioning look in her eyes while she looks from Wanda to me. I nod and hold out my hand to her. She comes over and I put my arm around her, she could never interrupt a moment between me and my fiancée at her Dad's memorial because I will always be there for her.

She stays in my arm until we have to move inside. Tony walks ahead with Pepper, Morgan, Laura and the kids following him. Cooper is holding Lila's hand and I can see him wiping his eyes, which makes me want to cry even more. Nathaniel is held by Laura. Mom, Wanda and I follow them inside and after us, the rest of the Avengers follow. A few of them I don't know but I haven't exactly been part of any battles, so.

Just as Mom said, we are seated in the front row, next to Tony and his family. Laura, the kids and the other relatives sit on the other side of the little passage between the rows of chairs. In the front, there are two pictures set up, one showing Bruce and the other showing Clint. Seeing him makes my heart clench and the first tear rolls down my cheek.

Wanda gives my hand a little squeeze, telling me she is here for me. Behind the pictures, there are marble stones with their names engraved and I recall Mom telling me that they will be put up in their honor, she just doesn't know where yet.

The hall fills with more and more people and there is a steady background noise of people chatting. Tony leans closer to Mom and whispers something into her ear and she nods.
Around ten minutes later, Tony gets up and walks up to the lectern in the front.