Chapter 8: Graduation

Pov Wanda

Y/n fiddles with her fingers and I can tell she is nervous and also excited. I take her hand in mine and give it a little squeeze. She looks at me and her fingers stop fidgeting and she gives me a wide smile.

Today is her graduation. She had a few exams over the last few weeks and was totally stressed and also anxious over times but she managed and now she finally did it.
I am very proud of her for putting this much work into it. Maybe also because I didn't do it but I felt like it was unnecessary since I didn't spend much time at school, first and foremost because of Hydra and later on because I had a lot of missions.

Besides, school is kinda expensive and we don't quite have the money for the both of us to graduate right now, especially not if I didn't have a full-time job.

But that doesn't matter now because all that matters is that y/n is beaming at me, her eyes bright with happiness. She might be nervous as well but I can tell she is also very happy to have done this. We are at her graduation right now. Well, the little party before the ceremony. Since it's mainly night or evening classes, most of the people are older than her, but she doesn't care about that.

We were offered champagne when we entered the building but y/n denied, too nervous about the ceremony. So, I denied as well, not wanting to be the only one of us drinking.
She is worried that, even if it's just one glass, she will be tipsy and embarrass herself on the little stage, which I totally understand.

When we first heard about the rules in Scotland, we were surprised that you are allowed to drink when you're 18 because in the States you have to wait until you're 21.
We haven't had a drink yet though, also because she isn't 18 yet but also because we both remember, how awful we felt after we drank the last time and we don't need a repetition of that, especially not on such an important day.

Y/n looks around, her fingers still fidgeting with the ring I'm wearing as our hands and intertwined.
Sometimes I think she doesn't even notice anymore when she plays with my rings but it's honestly pretty cute and puts a smile on my face.
When she tugs a little on my hand, she pulls me out of my thoughts and leads me towards a group of a few people. They seem older than us but not as old as some other people around here.

"Hey, Lucy." A girl greets and flashes her a smile.

"Hey, April." Y/n greets back and returns the smile. It still feels weird when people call her Lucy, even though that is officially her name here. But even after a few months of using it, it still sounds foreign to me.

"This is Evelyn, my girlfriend." Y/n introduces me and April smiles at me as well. She has a warm smile and kind eyes and I remember y/n telling me that she befriended April when she had to attend in person.

And just as it was weird hearing her new name, it's weird hearing mine too. I kind of got used to being called Evelyn by my co-workers and stuff but y/n doesn't use the name when we are alone, so it's strange hearing it from her mouth.

"Nice to meet you." April says and extends her hand to me. I take it and shake it.

"Nice to meet you too." I reply before letting the two of them talk.

I'm not here for my own entertainment, I am here to celebrate my girlfriend and her graduation, so I let her talk to whoever she wants to and how long she wants. This isn't about me at all, it's all about her and I like seeing her interact with all these people. It almost makes me feel normal, as if we belong here and aren't actually on the run.

We greet some more people while slowly walking into the hall where the ceremony will happen. Y/n already told me that we got assigned seats, so we walk around looking for them.
She had to tell them how many seats she wanted to have reserved beforehand.