Chapter 52: The past

Pov y/n

Mom, Wanda and I moved back into the compound after staying at Tony's for another day.
All of us were still exhausted from the events of the previous day and Pepper told us they don't mind us staying there a little longer.

It was a calm day, we spend most of it just relaxing and processing. I could tell that Tony and Mom had some things on their minds but didn't ask, not ready to face that yet. They talked about it though when Wanda and I went for a little walk around the lake.
We also spent some time with Morgan, playing a few games with her. She's really sweet and it feels kind of releaving to be around her because for her everything is fine and it's easy to fall into that mindset as well while playing with her.

The day after that, Mom had organized a jet for us and flew us back to the compound. It looked different than the last time we were there, which probably is because that was five years ago.
Mom handed us back a few things that belonged to us, that she had in her room and I don't judge her for it. She had to live with the thought of me being gone for five years, so it's totally understandable that she took some of my stuff into her room.

Wanda and I put away the things that came back from Scotland. Apparently, Steve made sure that our belongings wouldn't be thrown away and I am very thankful for that. It felt a little weird to mix the things from Scotland with the ones from home, almost as if two lives crashed into each other.

While Wanda put new bedding onto our bed, I cleaned up the bathroom and restocked a few products.
Mom was downstairs in the kitchen and cleaned up there because that was her working place for most of the past few years.

It's uncommonly silent in the compound. Back when we used to live here, you could always hear some kind of noise from somewhere because someone was always around. And when you live with five to eight people together, you can hear that.
The silence feels heavy and thick and not really comforting, but I guess we either have to get used to that or wait until the others maybe come back to live here as well.

We also took care of our injuries that day. The compound still has a medical wing and even though it was only barely used during the blip, it still holds everything we need.
Wanda gently removed the patch on my chest and cleaned the stitches before putting a new patch on. I checked her for any injuries as well but it seems like she wasn't hurt, except for that cut over her eyebrow but that's healing very well.

Another thing we have to get used to, is the technology. Some things stayed the same but others changed. We had to get new smartphones because the ones we had were smashed and probably also wouldn't have worked anymore.
Mom made sure to get us what we needed while Wanda and I went to the grocery store to fill up the fridge. It seemed like Mom didn't really care much about eating variously and her last trip to the store was also a while back.

The store was...chaotic, which also seems like an understatement.
Half of the population reappeared again and there were a lot of people in the store, buying groceries and necessities. The radio news on the way to and back from the store, told us, that there is a huge chaos in general and in all areas.

Luckily, Wanda and I don't have to worry about most of that stuff and can spend our time getting used to being back in the compound.
We decided to stay in the compound for now because we aren't fugitives anymore and no one wants to put us into cells. But eventually, we will move out because we will start living our own lives again, meaning that we will get jobs, an own apartment and all that.

We might still be young but we plan on getting married at some point and to start a family and I don't want to live in the compound when doing so.
I mean, I liked growing up with the Avengers around and all that but I don't want that for our future kids.
Besides, I'm not sure, if the Avengers still exist the way they used to. Mom hasn't told us much about what happened exactly during the battle and Wanda was too occupied with other things to notice.