"Distant Lover"

Omniscient

Chicago, Illinois was a city known for its booze, women, men, and speakeasies. But mostly booze. Like New York, the city hardly slept. And unlike New York, there was a distinct sense of duality.

During the day, it was the wholesome picture perfect scenery, fit for families of four and town parks of energized children. Though by night, daredevils, criminals, and dangerous dreamers came out to play.

Gambles, for cards, for chances, for lives, were held on countless corners of the fogged and steamy streets as the calm starry sky contrasted the chaos going on down below. It was a typical adult playground, appearing illustrious from afar yet holding the most threatening temptations within. Ones that could change a life, perhaps forever...

Their next show was tomorrow night, leaving tonight being the crew's chance to run wild like kids in a candy store. The way they'd been doing in every other city so far, and the way they'd continued to do in the cities to come.

In the red telephone box, with the smell of pastries from a bakery nearby, Tiana hung her head, ready to hear her best friend's scolding as she'd ranted about the past two weeks on the road. She'd told the woman everything, this being one of their two monthly catch up calls. And she knew she was mostly likely about to receive an earful, due to her most recent stubborn actions.

"I think I may have hurt her pretty bad Coco, she's definitely mad at me," the woman sighed into the curved telephone, twirling the cord with her finger. "I didn't mean to avoid her for that long..."

"Hm..." Her stomach twisted as she waited for the other shoe to drop. "You wanna know what I think?"

"I'm sure you gon tell me anyway Constance-" A smile teased her lips as they both chuckled a bit.

"You know me well suga," Coco chimed. "And I know you well too... Well enough to know you's bein a big ass baby bout this."

Exaggerating a frown, Tiana whined a bit, slumping her shoulders. "Cocoo-"

"No, nuh uh, don't you Coco me. You's wrong, Tiana Thomas, 'nd you know it." Her finger point and arched brow could be felt through the phone. "You probably drivin poor Journee crazy up there, and I don't blame her a blip for bein pissed at yo ass. She done gave you every chance to open ya damn mouth and talk, Tee. And here you go, tossin the shit away-"

"I jus-"

"And for what, hm?" Coco continued, not wanting to hear excuses. "Why, Tee? 'Cause you scared?? You don't do that to folks you love suga, that ain't right. It just ain't 'nd you know that. You's too smart for that, c'mon now, Tiana."

Knowingly, Tiana's head dropped like the child Coco had just called her, and she sighed heavily. "I know Cee..."

"She don't take bein left in the dark lightly y'know," she heard Franklin say on the other line. It made her softly palm her forehead. Course he's listenin' and of course he'd say that, she thought. "It don't do shit but piss her off 'nd make her wanna throw your bullshit back at you, times two," he added.

Tiana knew that. She knew all of it... And as of now she was cursing mentally at herself for being so foolish, and for treating her lover the way she had.

"Alright," the woman bobbed her head slowly, her eyes shut in penance. "I'm hearin y'all- I know, I gotta apologize..."

Coco hummed in agreement. "And how soon you plan on gettin that done, hm?"

Playfully, Tiana narrowed her eyes, imagining the smirk and teasing look on her best friend's face. "Today, alright? I just need to get my thoughts together, but I won't let another day go by with us bein like this..."