"Funny How Time Flies"

Omniscient

Motown music could be heard down the block as cars filled every space on the building's lot. The time had just reached a little after eight at night on a Saturday. And in the spirit of the holidays, decorations were spread all through the city's downtown as folks from every area of Atlanta gathered.

Dressed in winter attire, with casual yet decent outfits underneath, the coworkers of The Velvet Avenue walked inside to purchase their tickets.

Coco and Franklin stood at the roller blade exchange with Tiny and Jessie as DJ, Tiana, Lynette, and Tommy had gathered at the concession stand. Over on the other side of the building was Journee, Deja, and Kyla, gossiping in the bathroom.

"I'm tellin y'all, neva, get married- mkay?" Deja pointed a finger to the two women standing at the sink as they nodded with humorous expressions. "I'm one dinner away from bein added to the list of wives that offed they husbands," she scoffed to herself, making them laugh.

Kyla shook her head with a smile. "Ethan seems like a nice guy though Dej, why you wanna kill him?"

"Listen here baby, me lovin him ain't got nothin to do with it- he still a jackass that irks my every nerve. It's one thing to date, but livin with a man is a whole 'nother story."

"He one of them husbands that act like he can't do a damn thing for himself?" Journee chimed in knowingly, then she giggled at the wide eyed look of agreement Deja gave her. "Yeah I can see why you'd wanna strangle him-"

"I mean it's almost like his mother was never even there, let alone his damn daddy. All he do is sleep, go to work, and complain about my cookin."

"Oh I know he ain't complainin," Kyla gave a side eye to which Deja returned. "Tyson bet not ever-"

"Oh he will," Journee chuckled. "They all do sweetheart, it's in they DNA."

Deja shook her head as they all filed a line out of the bathroom. "His ass wouldn't survive a day bein a woman, I tell you-"

"I say that every day bout the white folks-" The two women laughed at Kyla's comment. "Where Coco nem at?"

"Over there gettin they skates," Deja answered with a discreet point. "I needa go get mine, or should I eat first?"

"I say eat first, the food may end up comin' right back up after a few rounds," Journee answered. "Looks like they ain't thinkin that though-" she gestured toward the group at the concession stand, just as Coco walked up to them.                                       

"I was lookin' for y'all," she said with a smile. "They open the bar in about thirty minutes, y'all drinkin?"

"I hope you ain't think I was doin' this shit sober Coco, I'm too damn old-"

"Deja you ain't but twenty-five," Coco chuckled as they linked arms and went to get Deja's skates.

It left Journee and Kyla to continue over to the concession stand, where Tiana, DJ, Lynette, and Tommy stood. The group turned to leave together with food in their hands, but paused at the sight of Journee and Kyla.

"Where the hell y'all been?"

"The bathroom Netty, where else," Kyla joked while stealing a fry from her tray. "Y'all ain't gon skate first?"

"Hell nawl- I'm hungry as shit and I ain't hittin' that floor til I get some liquor in my system," DJ shrugged before going to occupy a table, leaving the rest of the group to follow.

Saying nothing as everyone else conversed, Tiana picked her head up to steal a glance at Journee, not expecting the woman to already be looking at her. Suddenly finding the tray of food in her hands interesting, she popped a tater tot in her mouth to hide the blushing smile tugging her lips. And of course Coco noticed this as she and the group that'd been with her joined the table's conversation.