chapter 17- that was... interesting

Start from the beginning

He placed his hand over my mouth "Sh, I'll tell you when you're older. So what else did you and Mitch do today?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows "Did you, ya know-"

"Stop. Stop. Stop! Don't even say that! Nothing else happened, we just went to the bakery and picked up Ella. And that's it." I smacked him with a pillow.

"Well excuse me for asking then." He laughed and took the pillow from me so I couldnt smack him with it anymore.

--------

Mitch, Brayden, and I were all watching TV when Mitch's mom called from the kitchen "Dinner's ready! Mitch go get Ella!" Beydan and I walked into the kitchen and sat at the table as Mrs. Morrison placed a dish of spaghetti on the middle of the table. Just as she sat down, Mitch and Ella walked in and they sat down. We all dished the pasta onto our plates along with salad and started eating.

"So, Mitch," his mom started to make casual conversation so you didn't just have to listen to people eating the whole time. "How was your's and Bek's date?" Okay maybe it wasn't so casual. I had choked on my spaghetti and Mitch sprayed a bit of water across the table. I lowered my head so that my hair could hide my face. Ella giggled at our weird behavior and Brayden started laughing. Well, it wasn't so much laughing as it was cackling. He almost fell out of his chair, he was laughing so hard.

"Mom! We aren't dating, it wasn't a date." Mitch groaned as he too lowered his head. I looked up to see that Brayden was smirking at me, so I kicked him under the table. He winced in pain and stopped smirking at me as he held his ankle under the table.

"Well it sounded like a date to me." She shrugged. Mitch and I stared at her with wide eyes. "What? I overheard you guys talking about it earlier. Well remind me not to bring it up, touchy subject. Got it." We all went back to eating, I just wanted to hurry up and finish so I could go lock myself in my room. However, Ella decided that she would speak up and break the silence.

"I think you guys would be good together. Molly's sister said that guys and girls who spend a lot of time together like each other. And if you like each other then you date. She said that when you date you kiss, but I'm not sure about that because boys have cooties. Have you guys kissed yet? Bek, did Mitch have cooties? Do you like kissing-" she was cut off by Brayden, who was laughing so hard that he did fall off of his chair this time.

Mitch quickly jumped up and grabbed Ella. "Okay, I think you've had enough spaghetti, let's get you upstairs now shall we? Come on Ella!" He didn't meet my eyes as he tried to pick her up off of her chair.

Ella frowned "But I'm still hungry! I want to stay and talk!"

Mitch scooped her up and started walking to the stairs. "You have to save room for dessert, and I think you've done enough talking for tonight. Now let's go." They disappeared up the stairs as Brayden sat back down in his seat.

Mrs. Morrison gave us a weird look before standing up "I think I'm missing something here. I'm going to go talk to Ella, and maybe Mitch too."

"Good luck with that! If he tells you anything let me know!" Brayden called after her.

"What is going on with you people?" I asked as I put my head in my hands. I had some weird friends, who knows what they were doing this time.

-----

"Bek! No dont sleep over there, sleep by me!" Brayden patted the spot next to him on the floor of the living room. Sadly, he was staying the night so I was stuck with him for a few more hours.

I placed my pillow next to Mitch's, Mitch was in the middle sperating me and Brayden. "No, I still hate you from scaring me and confusing me earlier. I take back what I said about wanting you to skip practice." Mitch turned the lights off and carefully walked back to his makeshift bed so he wouldn't step on us

"Aw come on, you know you love me. I'm irresistible." I heard Brayden yawn in the darkness. "I'm so tired, we had a long practice today. I'm going to go to bed, try to not be too loud while you make out. I beg you not to do stuff while I'm in the room."

"Goodnight Brayden." Mitch said a little agrivatedly. We all laid in silence, trying to fall asleep. The silence was broken by Brayden's snoring and I heard Mitch turn to me. "Sorry for Brayden, you know how he is. Just likes to annoy us." He gave a small laugh that sounded forced.

"Boys will be boys, and cows will be cows." I turned on my side so that I could hear him better over the snoring in the background.

"Oh, and sorry for my mom at dinner. And for Ella. She likes to talk about what her and her friends hear from their older sisters. I talked to her about it though so-"

"Mitch, it's fine. She's a kid, she doesn't know any better. She was just trying to add to the conversation. By the way, thanks for lunch. Again."

Mitch laughed for real this time "How many times are you going to thank me?"

"Again, it's something called being nice. But really, thanks. I had a lot of fun with you today. Except the part where you made me run through town. I wasnyt very happy about the sudden physical exercise. I'll stick to the internet, thank you very much." We both laughed at our dumb conversation. I could feel his breath touching my face when he laughed.

"You're something else, Bek. You know that right?" He spoke quietly in the darkness. I repositioned myself to get more comfortable and I accidentally bumped his hand with mine.

"Yeah, I know. But that's why you love me." I smiled and laughed quietly at myself. I heard Mitch mumble something, but I couldn't make out what the whole sentence was. "What was that?"

"Huh? Oh nothing, just talking to myself." He coughed quietly. He repositioned himself too and his hand was closer to my head.

I yawned "Well, I'm tired. Night Mitch." I closed my eyes and tried to go to sleep.

"Goodnight Bek." He spoke softly. I felt his hand move and it ran carefully over my hair as it moved. "Sleep tight"

"Don't let the bedbugs bite" I finished in a soft whisper. Well, today has been interesting.