Chapter 43: Kalopsia

Kalopsia (n.) The delusion of things being more beautiful than they really are.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

I did not realize how dismal it was to be in her absence, until now. My awakening to an empty, cold bed was enough for me to identify this morning as a terrible one. I became worried as I was not sure where she had gone, but her sweet scent that lingered within our sheets was almost enough to soothe me back into a relaxing slumber.

I forced myself out of bed as I was too eager to begin my day with her, and began to prepare myself for what lies ahead. After some time, I made my way downstairs and greeted my men in the lounge area, and scanned the room, searching for that beautiful face, but my heart dropped as she was no where in sight.

"Where is she?" I asked aloud.

"She's out there," Manny frowned and nodded his head towards the back doors.

I looked out the window and saw her standing there. Alone. Her arms rested upon the wooden fence as she leaned over the patio, looking out towards the stormy sea. Those ringlets of soft brown hair had lightly flowed around her face, but I could see that her eyes had matched the waves at which she gazed at, darkened and turbulent.

"Boss," a voice called for me before I could step outside and comfort my other half.

"What is it?" I asked, turning to look at Gabe.

"Alexander and Rowan left last night. Bella said that it was for the best, for her brother's safety," he relayed her words to me and pressed his lips into a line, clearly at a disagreement with her decision.

This news came as a surprise, although, I was not worried, I was more disappointed that she did not tell me herself. I thought that we are to be honest and open with each other, but this had only made me wonder if she was afraid of how I would react if she were to discuss this with me, and this upset me greatly, as I did not want her to be scared for any reason.

"That will be no problem for us, thank you for informing me," I gave him a respectful nod before slipping through the back doors.

Whatever she wants. We will make it work.

As I made my approach, my arms gently snaked around her waist while my lips met the top of her hair. She had released a pleasant sigh and melted into my chest which led me to meet her rose-colored cheek, kissing her once more.

"You could have told me," I whispered into her ear, hinting at her brother and friend.

"I-I know, I'm sorry. I just didn't know how," she spoke softly, and turned to look at me.

Seeing a frown on this lovely woman had made my heart ache, I was practically miserable seeing her this way. She had changed me, from being a callous man to someone who easily crumbles at the sight of her sadness. But, I like who I have become with her, every second that I am with her is my chance to live a life that is safe and good. She is my sanctuary in this malevolent world.

"I do not want you to be fearful of speaking to me. You can tell me anything, amore mio, no more secrets between us, yeah?" I comforted her with a smile. She nodded then suddenly wrapped her arms around my waist and buried her head into my chest, pulling me into a tight hug.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly as her embrace was instant and unexpected.

"Nothing," she answered, but I narrowed my gaze, sensing that something else troubled her mind.

"I just should have told you last night. I'm sorry," she breathed and looked up at me with those kind brown eyes.

"You're alright, Arabella. Please, no more apologies," I reassured.