Chapter 27: Confidant

Confidant (n.) A person with whom one shares a secret or private matter, trusting them not to repeat it to others.

Arabella's P.O.V.

Two days had passed since I have witnessed the death of Cairo. The funeral was held yesterday, with only my father, brother, and I attending, nothing surprising given the number of enemies he had collected over his lifetime. It was a sweet and kind memorial, filled with bouquets of flowers and the typical moment of silence in front of a beautiful granite headstone, all of which was paid for by an anonymous donor, but I had an idea of who it could be.

Everyone had continued on with their lives, returning back to work and making plans for the weekend to come. They had all moved on, but I still felt stuck in the moments of Cairo dying in my arms. I had tried to distract myself with new responsibilities, but it was impossible as the men in my life believed that I should no longer partake in their business, for my safety, they argued.

After much pleading and failed attempts of persuasion, I have decided to fall back on the only thing in my life that has seemed to be going well. My business with Romano has yet to fail, it has given Scarlett Operations the chance to thrive and work at its fullest potential, I was even proud of having that man as my partner.

New shipments of weapons and supplies are to arrive today, so I have met with Romano at our delivery site, which was conveniently disguised as a bar. We sat alongside each other, occupying the high stools while being entertained by our bartender's dexterous skills of pouring drinks.

I kept a wary eye on the delivery trucks outside, watching them fill with my packages, as others believed that they were harmless shipments of wine and spirits. Luckily, for us, there was not much attention to draw at this time, a lonely man sat on a stool at the end while few couples and groups of friends occupied the dimly lit tables of the bar.

"Are we just going to sit in silence, principessa?" Romano sighed, blankly staring at his glass of whiskey.

"I have nothing to say," I muttered as I brought my glass of wine to my lips.

"Well, think of something," he said, impatiently tapping his finger against the counter.

I truly had no words to share as I have been mindlessly eyeing our surroundings, not worrying about Romano's boredom. If I were to think, the only thought that made itself present was Cairo: his death, his enemies, and his note to me.

Maybe I was eager for advice, or perhaps I was feeling a bit tipsy from the wine, but an idea sparked into mind that would surely rid the silence between us.

"Fine," I took a deep breath, but he eyed me suspiciously as I turned to face him.

"I need your help," I said. 

"Oh shit, what did you do this time?" he breathed out nervously and gave me a judging look.

"I-"

"No, I most definitely will not help you hide a dead body," he said aloud jokingly, earning some concerned glances from the people nearby.

"You're ridiculous," I mumbled into the palms of my hands as I hid my reddened face, not able to bear the unwanted attention.

"What do you need help with, Arabella? No one's looking anymore," he laughed as I shot him a glare.

"I have a lead on our enemies," I confessed.

"What?" he asked in disbelief.

"Cairo gave me something before he died," I said while rummaging through my purse to find the note.