Chapter 32: Mágoa

Mágoa (n.) A heartbreaking feeling that leaves long-lasting traces, visible in gestures and facial expressions.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

God, how stunning she is tonight.

She radiated of beauty under the moonlight in that dress made perfectly just for her, not even her diamonds could steal away an admirer's eye. I commended myself for the gifts I had bought her as she so elegantly wore them with confidence, she could not have looked more heavenly.

Although, I was starting to believe that such gifts might be something I will soon regret. She will walk through the entrance of the club, all beautiful, powerful, and independent, capturing the lecherous eyes of revolting men. While I, on the other hand, will not be able to hold her or stand by her lovingly. I will not be able to show the world she's mine.

"Let's get this meeting over with," Manny's voice redirected my attention.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked, standing from the hood of my car as he laid his hand against my passenger door.

"I'm riding with you," he shrugged and opened the door, which I immediately slammed shut.

"No you're not," I stood in his way with my arms folded against my chest.

"Ah, I think I know what's going on here," he chuckled and darted his playful eyes between me and Arabella.

"Am I being replaced?" he asked dramatically, pretending to sound hurt.

His damn behavior had made me think that my affection towards Arabella was too obvious, perhaps I have just been caught. There was no harm or shame if the others knew, maybe it would be a nuisance to Alexander, but my men will know that she would be my first, and I would become the center of their teasing jokes.

"No, you are not being replaced, but that is not your seat to take," I replied.

"Right," he chuckled to himself.

"I was just kidding anyway, you know I enjoy keeping you on your toes," his smile grew wider as he patted my back.

"You're fucking hilarious," I said sarcastically.

"Ora puoi andare," I spoke quickly once I noticed Arabella making her way towards us (You can leave now).

"You look lovely tonight," I said to her as I opened the passenger door.

"Thank you," Arabella and Manny spoke in unison, but her soft voice was barely audible under this fool's obnoxiousness.

Manny walked away and laughed loudly to himself, leaving Arabella and I in an awkward silence. I could only summon a nervous chuckle as I struggled to get my shit together in her presence and she turned to me with her brows furrowed and head slightly tilted. How cute.

"Did I interrupt something between you two?" she asked, biting that rosy, plump lip of hers.

"No, you're completely fine. You know how Manny is," I smiled and gently closed the door once she sat down in her seat.

I led our group into the city of Rio de Janeiro as we overtook the bustling streets and blessed the eyes of pedestrians with a fleet of opulent cars. Although this was a thrilling time for the others, Arabella and I rode in silence, filling the space between us with tension as I had nothing more to say to her.

She knew that I had despised her coming along with us. It was quite evident, the hatred that I felt towards this plan, which to my displeasure, involved her, but one thing that I hated even more was that I could not bring myself to say no to her. Even at my own expense I was at her feet, ready to do or say whatever pleases the woman.