chapter twenty four

XXIV

Shauna was pouring more water into the bathtub while Natalie tried not to shiver from the cold.

Inside the tub the water was hot, making her wish she could spend the rest of her life there. For one moment Natalie was able to feel relaxed, even after what happened today.

Right now she wasn't thinking about anything other than the hot and calming water. She didn't think about being hungry. She didn't think about almost drowning earlier. She didn't think about Hayden. Being warm was all that mattered in that moment.

"Hey" Shauna knelt beside her "I'll be right back okay."

Completely alone inside that water, she felt at peace.

In the other room, they were all trying to recover from the fight they put up with that moose when the door swung open, revealing an almost fainting Lottie being carried by Mari and Akilah.

"Oh my gosh." Hayden immediately got up.

"Oh shit."

"Is she okay?" Misty came running.

"Not really. No" Mari said as she helped Lottie sit.

"We followed a trail of blood and found her passed out." Akilah explained "She was right where the hunter's plane used to be."

"Are you hurt?" Hayden examined her closely.

"Let's get her jacket off." Shauna said, helping Lottie take it out.

"We got you. We got you."

"Get her back here." Natalie appeared with her hair still dripping from the bath "We can get her to the tub."

"Okay. Come on, let's go" The girls helped her up as Hayden watched Natalie lead the way to the bedroom.

Alone with Lottie, Nat was helping the girl get into the tub while she shivered from the cold.

"It's gonna get better. Come on." Nat told her. Lottie whimpered as she got in, suffering with the temperature shock.

Once Lottie was in the hot water, Natalie went after something to take care of the cut on her hand.

"This is all my fault." She said as she bandaged her hand "I'm sorry."

"Good game. You fucking loser." Lottie managed to smirk at her.

"You're talking shit? You little bitch" Nat chuckled "You ended up with nil, the same as me."

"I'm fine." She extended her hand for Lottie to shake it.

"Good game."

Their moment was interrupted by someone entering the room. It was Hayden. She had some towels in hand, expecting to give them to Lottie.

"Just wanted to check on you." She looked at the girl in the tub.

Natalie got away from Lottie, getting on her feet to leave the room.

"You don't have to go." She held her hand.

"I think I should." Natalie let go, heading to the door, not looking at Hayden before leaving.

The girl sighed as she heard the door close, making her way to the tub to see if Lottie needed anything else.

"You okay?" Lottie noticed how she was silently kneeling next to her.

"I'm good." She sighed "You?"

"Getting there"

"I brought you some towels and warm clothes."