chapter ten

X

It was still dark when Hayden decided to take some cool air outside. She was feeling very overwhelmed these past days, tired of being away all day and never having the chance to be alone.

She walked through the girls that were sleeping on the floor, as quietly as possible so she didn't wake them up. By the door she caught sight of that old piano, just sitting there on the corner, probably untouched for years, reminding her of her mother, but she forced that memory away, not wanting one more thought in her mind.

Outside the air was cool but she didn't mind it, it was better to be there than to be inside trying to sleep and failing.

She took a moment to contemplate the view, sitting on the front porch. It was just trees for miles and miles, not a single sign of any civilization, and that was so fucking scary.

"Hey, it's cold here." Hayden was snapped out of her thoughts by Lottie's voice.

"Oh, sorry. Did I wake you up?" She thought she had been quiet.

"Actually, no. But you left the door open." Lottie chuckled, pointing at the open door "Are you ok?"

"Yeah" she sighed "Just couldn't sleep."

Lottie took a seat by her side "It's scary, isn't it?"

"It's terrifying. I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind at any moment." Lottie didn't need to elaborate on it for Hayden to know what she was talking about.

"I think I've already lost mine."

She turned to face her friend, worried about her. They didn't get a chance to talk about the other day in the attic.

"You okay? You know, after what happened up there."

"I don't know, I feel weird, but I'll be fine. Just my head hurts a little." Lottie let out a deep breath.

"I was so worried about you, but I didn't get to talk to you after. I was looking for you this morning."

"Yeah. I'm okay, it's just... the girls.." she paused for a second, "they keep giving me the looks and I don't know, maybe I'm crazy-"

"Hey, no." Hayden interrupted, "Don't say that. You're not crazy okay." She put a hand on her shoulder, reassuring the girl.

Lottie gave her a weak smile, fighting the tears in her eyes.

"I think I might have something for your head packed in my bag, or what's left of it. I'll look for it first thing in the morning."

Lottie nodded at her before going for a hug, and Hayden could feel she needed that when the girl immediately relaxed in her arms.

"Thanks for always having my back" Lottie spoke.

"I love you, Lottie."

"I love you too."

The next morning Hayden woke up feeling exhausted from the lack of sleep. She headed outside with a few other girls to see if there was something to eat, but Taissa was right, food was getting scarce.

"Hey, feeling better?" Hayden asked Lottie as she took a seat next to her.

"A little. My head still hurts tho."

"Oh, right. I'll see if I can find something in my bag." Hayden remembered telling Lottie about probably having some painkillers. "Be right back."

Inside the cabin, she went straight to her bag and started scavenging through her stuff, not recalling she had packed so many things.