chapter four

IV

The Atkins residence was already busy early in the morning as the boys were getting ready to work and Hayden was just finishing packing for nationals.

"Morning Hays" Andy said, leaning on the door, "I'm the one who's gonna take you to the airport, so let me know when you're ready."

"I'm almost done, be down in a minute" she told him.

She looked around her room, searching for something she might have forgotten. She caught a glimpse of the Dartmouth letter, sitting in her drawer and she decided it was better to take it with her, just in case any of her brothers decided to go into her room while she was gone. She would deal with the whole college situation when she returned from Nationals.

She checked everything one last time, leaving everything in order and finally took her suitcase downstairs and went to say bye to her brothers.

"Today is the big day, huh?" Charlie said as he saw Hayden entering the kitchen.

"I wanted to say bye"

"Well, have fun Hays, you're already a champ" Tony gave her a smile.

"Thank you." She smiled at the sight of her brothers there on the table. "I'll miss you guys. See you in a week"

"We love you, kid." Tony told her,  looking proud of his sister.

"Love you too" she smiled she looked at Tony, then at Charlie and finally at Mitchell, just nodding at him.

Andy carried her suitcase to the car and put it in the trunk.

"Ok, let's get you to fucking Nationals" he was excited for his little sister.

Hayden looked for some mixtape to listen to during the drive, finding an old Guns n' Roses mixtape in Andy's car that belonged to their mother. She let the memories come to mind.

"You listen to this oftenly?" she asked, showing him the tape.

"Oh man, this was mom's favorite." he gave a nostalgic smile, taking from her hand and getting ready to play it.

Hayden pressed play and the intro of November Rain filled the car. Her mom's favorite song, she used to play in the piano all the time. A mixture of sadness and nostalgia took over her.

"When I look into your eyes, I can see a love restrained" Andy started singing.

"Darling when I hold you, don't you know I feel the same" he sang while looking at his sister waiting for her to join.

"Nothing lasts forever and we both know hearts can change" Hayden hummed along.

"And it's hard to hold a candle in the cold november rain"

"This was the first song  she taught me on the piano, you know?" Hayden told him

"You never played again" he said in a sad tone.

"It's hard. Besides, I'm busy with soccer." she let out a sigh.

"I miss hearing you play, you were very good"

She gave her brother a sincere smile. She thought about playing again, she would love that actually, but they didn't have a piano anymore and it was true that she had other stuff to focus on.

They listened to the Guns n' Roses tape the whole ride to the airport, in a comfortable silence and sometimes humming along to the songs.

"Okay, this is it. Remember to have fun and be safe." Andy said as they arrived at the airport.