chapter sixteen

XVI

The group spent the whole morning making the decorations for the doomcoming, lightening up the mood around the cabin. They were actually excited to dress fancy and drink alcohol while celebrating incoming death.

By the afternoon, Hayden went to the lake by herself to "shower". If she was gonna die soon and that would be her last party, then at least she was gonna be clean and good looking.

After she was clean, it was time to get dressed. She remembered packing a dress that was dark blue because she thought it would be nice using one of colors of the school as they received the award for winning Nationals.

As she opened her bag, the first thing she saw was the ripped letter, perfectly positioned to seem like it was whole.

"That bitch." She actually thought it was nice of Natalie to put it back.

She found the dark blue dress she and immediately put it on. It was a little loose because of the weight loss, but her boobs still looked great on it. That was all that mattered. It felt great dressing fancy.

"Hey, can someone help zip my dress up?" She heard Shauna shouting from the attic as she struggled to zip her own dress.

"Coming!" Hayden shouted back, heading upstairs.

"I got you." She found Shauna staring at her own reflection at the mirror.

"Thank you." Shauna smiled as the girl zipped her up.

"So, how are you doing?" Hayden noticed her looking at her belly in the mirror.

"It's very scary when I stop to think about it, but I'm gonna be fine."

"You're gonna be an amazing mom." She assured the girl.

Their moment was interrupted by someone climbing the stairs.

"There you are. I was looking for you." Natalie said as she reached the attic.

"Me?" Hayden and Shauna said at the same time.

"You." Nat pointed at Hayden.

"I'm gonna help the others with the decoration, ok?" Shauna told Hayden and then headed downstairs, giving the girls some privacy.

As the two girls were now alone in the attic. Hayden was confused on why Nat would be looking for her. Nat, on the other hand, was too distracted checking the girl out in her blue dress that she forgot what she needed to do.

Hayden would be lying if she said she was not staring at Natalie and her leopard print dress and thinking she looked just fine. She quickly pushed that thought away, clearing her throat.

"So... do you need anything?"

"Yeah, right." Nat looked away. "Um, we need to change the bandage."

"So you're my particular nurse now?" Hayden smirked, causing Natalie to roll her eyes.

Nat got close to her and held her arm while sterlizing the injury. She was so careful with it that Hayden couldn't stop but notice how gentle her touch was.

"There you go, Atkins."

"Hayden." she looked at Nat. "Please, call me Hayden."

"I thought you didn't like your first name." Natalie gave her a curious look.

"Actually, I prefer it." She admitted. "But I guess because of my brothers, people just never bothered to learn my name, I was just the Atkins boy's little sister."

"The Atkins Girl" Nat said.

"Yeah." Hayden chuckled.

"Ok... Hayden..." She emphasized the girl's name "If you don't mind I have something to look for now." She headed for her bag.