chapter seven

VII

After Coach Scott told everybody that he decided to let Natalie and Hayden alone with a gun, the girls couldn't protest so they went wandering through the woods, looking for any food, while the new pair of hunters went on their mission and everybody prayed they didn't end up killing each other.

"Are any of these, like, maple syrup trees?" Laura Lee asked as she looked up to the trees.

"What? I don't know" Taissa kept moving, not paying much attention.

Misty was looking at the plants and grabbed one to analyze, she was very close to putting it in her mouth when Akilah stopped her. "Don't. Don't eat that kind" she slapped Misty's hand. "It's poisonous".

"Like 'kill you' poisonous, or like 'crip your balls off' poisonous?" Van asked Akilah.

"What? I don't know. My girl scout troop leader didn't get all specific about it."

"Akilah" Taissa called her attention to a plant.

"Okay, now, those I know for sure will make you puke."

"Gotta keep Hayden away from this then." Lottie said.

"If Natalie doesn't kill her until then." Taissa joked, even though she didn't doubt it.

"Or she kills Natalie" Lottie played along, not so sure it was just a joke.

"Well, could you just show something that we could actually eat, so we can get going" Misty was slightly irritated.

"What's the big hurry?" Taissa gave the girl a funny look.

"Coach need a sponge bath?"

"That- That was mean" Van laughed with Taissa as Misty got mad with her comment.

"I'm sorry! Whatever" Taissa tried to apologize but Misty was already storming off.

Lottie was walking around, looking at the environment when she noticed a weird symbol marked in one of the trees. She was about to get a closer look at it when she heard Jackie call them.

"Uh guys!"

"Jackie? What is it?"

Lottie got away from the tree without being able to analyze the symbol and made her way over the other girls to see why Jackie was calling them just to find her stading in front of a fucking plane.

"Holy shit."

In another part of the woods, Natalie was getting tired of trying to keep up with Hayden, as they went after something to hunt. Her legs weren't even that long, so Natalie didn't understand how the girl could walk so fast. Or maybe her own legs were just too short.

"Can you slow down for fuck's sakes?"

"Still don't trust you." Hayden said as she continued to walk.

"Oh my god. I'm not gonna fucking shoot you." Natalie groaned. "Besides, you look pretty scared for someone who didn't even hesitate when I had the gun on you."

Hayden stopped and turned to face Natalie. "And you have a very weak mind, you know that?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Hayden wondered why Natalie had such a big reaction when she said those words to her earlier, about doing things worse than shooting a gun. She was referring to the story about Nat shooting her own dad, just to provoke, but the girl got so pissed she started thinking she may have actually done it.

"What did you do that it was worse than shooting a gun?"

Natalie stared at her.

"Did you kill someone or something like that?" Hayden said, joking, but as soon as the words left her mouth she knew she shouldn't have said that.