My Love is Blind: 22

My Love is Blind: Chapter 22

“If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

*

Luc was shaking with fury by the time we arrived at the penthouse. I suggested that we all go up and talk there instead of the lobby, where our neighbors are starting to stare.

I asked James and Jenny to go to their bedrooms. They glanced at Luc’s stormy face first before turning their back to follow my instruction.

Mathieu was walking behind us and I led the men to Luc’s study. I don’t want the twins to overhear us.

‘Uh… would you like some coffee?’ I asked Mathieu but he shook his head.

Luc gave a frustrated groan. ‘Dios mio, Lorraine! Coffee? At this time?’ I blushed. ‘Explain yourself.’ He said to our guest.

‘As I said, I’m the real father of Stella’s baby,’ Mathieu didn’t even look uncomfortable even if Luc was glowering at him.

My husband’s hands fisted as his sides. ‘And do you have proof?’

He shrugged as if they were talking about a very simple topic. ‘I don’t but we can easily get a DNA test done.’

‘No!’ Luc thundered. ‘I will not let you violate my daughter like that.’

Anger flared in Mathieu’s eyes. ‘She is my daughter. And I want her.’

Luc came around his desk and rifled the drawers. At last, he straightened up, checkbook in hand. ‘How much do you want?’

‘How much do I want for what?’

‘To go away. To leave us all alone.’ Luc said, his pen poised on the paper to write the amount.

Mathieu advanced on him but before he could connect his fist to Luc’s jaw, I stepped in between them. ‘Stop!’ I yelled. ‘Why don’t we all take about this like civilized a—’

‘What’s going on around here? It’s like a haunted apartment,’ By the time she said her last word, Stella appeared on the doorway of the study. ‘I saw the light and…’ Her eyes widened when she saw us. I almost thought she was going to drop Maya from her arms. Luc mentioned that she was released this morning before he met with Georgio. ‘Wha… what’s going on?’

Luc glared but he came forward to scoop Maya out of Stella’s arms. ‘You tell me. This man,’ He said the word with venom as he glanced back to where Mathieu was standing. ‘is claiming that Maya is his child.’ He turned back to back to Stella. ‘Is it true?’

Stella spluttered. ‘Luc, I… I can explain!’

Luc’s jaw tightened. ‘Yes or no, Stella.’

With tears falling from her eyes, she said “yes” in a shaky voice. ‘But I can explain, Luc! I can explain!’

Luc visibly swallowed. He brushed a finger over Maya’s cheek and looked at her with all the love a father can give to his child. Then he walked over to Mathieu and handed her to him. ‘Take care of her or I will kill you.’ Luc said steadily. ‘Now get the hell out of here and bring that woman.’