My Love is Blind: 17

• Dedicated to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

My Love is Blind: Chapter 17

“Hope is the expectation that something outside of ourselves, something or someone external, is going to come to our rescue and we will live happily ever after.” –Dr. Robert Anthony

*

[Lorraine’s POV]

From then on, everything went quite perfectly. We went back to New York with the twins and had a very normal marriage. Except for the short period of time when the media went crazy about Luc’s announcement that he can see again.

Every tabloid published this story and paparazzi followed us for weeks. I had to beg Luc to avoid taking me out to dinner for a while just so we could have some peace. Of course he agreed. He pretty much gives me everything—even if I’m not asking for it.

He would come home from work with several bags containing toys for James and Jenny and designer clothes and expensive jewelry for me. One time I told him that he got to stop buying me all those stuff since the dressing room we share is already full. He didn’t buy me anything for quite a while until he had the room adjacent to ours turned into another dressing—exclusively mine this time.

I don’t know what to do with him. He’s a wonderful husband and a passionate lover. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning, see him next to me and still wonder how I could have married him. I’m nothing compared to him.

On those rare occasions when I voice these thoughts to him, he would pull me to him and kiss me hard. ‘You are not “nothing.” You are the woman I love,’ he would whisper. ‘Don’t ever forget that.’

And you know what happens next.

*

I just got home from the park with the twins when I saw Stella Reveron hanging on the lobby of our apartment.

My heart starting to beat wildly inside my chest and with shaking voice I called out, ‘May I help you?’

She turned at the sound of my voice. She looked up at me from head to toe, the expression on her face forced me to take a step back. ‘You are Luc’s wife, aren’t you?’ Her emphasis on the wife was not lost on me.

‘Yes,’ her obvious sarcasm made me lift my chin up a notch. ‘And you are Stella Reveron.’

She nodded with a malicious smile. ‘Also, the mother of your husband’s baby.’

I swallowed hard. ‘So may I help you?’

‘Actually, I was looking for Luc. Is he around?’ When I shook my head, her smile got even bigger. I found out the reason behind it soon enough. ‘I realize that I haven’t congratulated you yet on your wedding. You’ve achieve something a lot of women—myself included—tried to do. You got a man like Luc to marry you. I suggest you savor this moment because I’m telling you it won’t last long.’

I glared at her and her baby bump. She was wearing a royal blue tube dress with a gray cardigan. Her feet were enclosed in black flats. She looked every inch the fashionista she was even before she got pregnant. ‘What do you mean?’

‘I meant that Luc—for all his modern ways—is still an old-fashioned Spanish man at heart. He would not let any child of his to be a bastard. Sooner or later, he would divorce you and come to me.’ Stella said with glee.

 I paled. ‘No, that’s not going to happen.’

‘Believe what you want, little girl. Just don’t forget that I warned you.’

I took a deep breath. Stella Reveron rattled my composure, yes, but I’m not about to let her embarrass me further. ‘I want you to leave.’

She frowned at that. When I didn’t say anything and just stared her down, she flipped a hand to her hair. ‘Fine, but know this: you can make me leave this place but you can never completely remove me from Luc’s life.’ With that final remark, she walked away.

*

The episode with Stella left me weak that is why I finally heeded to Luc’s advice: that we get a nanny for the twins. He gave me a list of qualified nannies a few weeks ago and I dug that up and arranged for interviews that afternoon even though all I really wanted to do was to lie in bed all day.

I interviewed five women. However, only one really passed my standards. Her name is Aria Wynter and she’s only twenty years old like me. Since she was going to be a full time nanny, I asked her to move in immediately.

By nightfall she was settled in and was already keeping the kids occupied. Luc raised an eyebrow when he got back from work.

‘Querida, you are not supposed to bring home the twins’ playmates.’ He said as he kissed me on the mouth. I punched him lightly on the chest when I saw Aria frown.

‘Luc, this is Aria. She’s James and Jenny’s new nanny.’ I explained. ‘Aria, this is my husband, Luc.’

Aria lifted her chin—a little haughtily. ‘Nice to meet you, Mr. De la Vega.’

I elbowed Luc in the stomach. ‘You can call me Luc and I’m sorry about my quip about you being James and Jenny’s playmate. You just seem so young. ’

‘I’m twenty,’ Aria said. ‘Just like your wife.’

I couldn’t resist the urge to laugh. I knew for sure that Aria and I would get along just fine. L

Luc had the decency to blush but before he could embarrass himself any further, he excused himself and went to his study. I found him there half an hour later working on his laptop.

I was suddenly gripped by fear. What if Stella was right? Would Luc divorce me once Stella has given birth to their child? I cannot imagine life without him. I don’t even want to imagine life without him. I love him so much sometimes it scares me.

Luc noticed me standing on the doorway and stood up. He opened his arms and I ran into his embrace. I don’t want to think about what Stella said. I don’t want to think about the arriving baby, my husband’s past relationship with the glamorous Spanish woman and Stella herself. All I want is in my arms. Luc.

Luc must have felt like something was up because he asked me, ‘Is there something wrong?’

I shook my head and kissed his jaw. ‘So what do you think of Aria?’

He grinned. ‘She reminds me of you. Are you sure you don’t have a long-lost sister?’

I smiled back at him. ‘You’re silly. We don’t even look like each other. I’m a redhead and she’s a brunette. She also has this eastern European look going on and she’s got accent, Luc! Do you think she’s Italian?’

‘Greek, if I am not mistaken,’ Luc said.

‘Hmm, yes, I think you’re right.’ I replied. We walked out of the study and into our bedroom hand in hand. ‘I have a feeling we’re going to be great friends.’

My husband smiled at me and my heart melted again. ‘That’s good.’ He loosened his tie but I brushed his hand away and removed it myself. When I started to work on the buttons of his shirt, he brushed my hands away this time.

‘I want pizza,’ He said.

I put my hands on my hips. ‘Well, I thought you wanted me?’

Luc chuckled and kissed me. ‘Of course, I want you. I’ll always want you.’ I hope so. ‘But right now, I’m craving for pizza, querida, and the night is still young. We can order pizza, eat and spend the rest of the night in bed making love.’

I shivered at his words and nodded because that’s all I can do. Nod. Since I’ve already gone putty in his hands. Stella was long forgotten as we celebrated our love.