My Love is Blind: 20

My Love is Blind: Chapter 20

“A man is not complete until he has seen the baby he has made.” –Sammy Davis, Jr.

*

The baby had to stay at the hospital for over a month. During the weeks that followed her birth, Luc cut back on work and visited her almost every waking hour. Maybe he wouldn’t really come home if I wasn’t around.

When he arrives at the apartment, it is usually past midnight already and I’m already in bed. I would sometimes wake up when he gets into bed and he would gather me close but that’s it. Yeah, you got it right. No more lovemaking. Not even once after Stella Bitch—Aria’s nickname for her—gave birth to their baby.

I can’t say I blame him. I know he’s tired and all that. But I just can’t help but feel unwanted.

I have nothing to occupy my days since Aria is around to take care of the twins already so on most days you can find me sitting in the living room staring at the wall or trying to read a book but not really understanding the sentences. I feel like I’m already dead inside.

I’m a walking, breathing, good-at-faking-a-smile-now dead person.

And to be honest, it doesn’t suck that much.

*

It was Thursday night and Luc called just an hour ago that he would be visiting Maya. If my instincts are correct, Stella would be swinging by the hospital by now too. She always orchestrates her visits to catch Luc.

When Luc asked if it was okay if he skip dinner with us I murmured a nonchalant “yes.” ‘Are you sure?’ he asked.

‘Yes, Luc, I am.’

There was a pause at the other end of the line. ‘I’m sorry for not being always there but Maya needs—’

‘I understand,’ I interrupted. ‘You don’t have to explain. We’ll manage without you tonight.’ I’ll manage, I hope.

When I finally put down the receiver, Aria gave my arm a squeeze. ‘Want to talk about it?’

I shook my head and smiled slightly. ‘No. Tonight I just want to forget everything even just for a while.’ I said. ‘Why don’t we ditch eating at the dining table and let’s all have dinner in front of the TV?’

James and Jenny were delighted by the arrangement. I noticed that they’ve behaved exceptionally for the past weeks as if they could sense that something was wrong. Tonight though, they were back to their cute, silly ways.

We were halfway done eating dinner and watching a Disney movie when James and Jenny fought over the remote. James remembered it was time for his favorite cartoon on another channel. They were tugging the remote controller back and forth between them.

‘Rainie!’ Jenny wailed. ‘Make him let go.’

James smirked. ‘No.’ Then pulled hard. Jenny toppled over him. James disentangled himself from his twin and worked the remote.

He was browsing through the channels when a familiar face caught my eye. ‘Hey, James, go back a bit please.’

He sighed but did as I asked. It was some kind of news channel and it was featuring him. Prince Georgio Devin Grenaldi.

‘…the second in line for the throne of Sovandara is frequently seen around the city.’ The reporter was saying. ‘His constant companion is none other than the glamorous model, Natasha Smith—who happens to be his younger sister’s best friend, Princess —’