She looks at her phone and lands on Cory's number. She starts writing a text: I miss your... and then deletes it.

The shuttle pulls up in front of the rink. Banners welcome them to the Ladies Singles Performance.

INT. CORY'S MOM'S HOME - LIVING ROOM - EVENING

Cory, looking disheveled and depressed, lies on the couch. He gets up and makes his way to the bathroom. He overhears the announcement of the ladies' figure skating short program in his Mom's bedroom. He's drawn to it.

INT. CORY'S MOM'S HOME - MOM'S BEDROOM - SECONDS LATER

Cory enters. His Mom is watching the competition on TV. The skaters are warming up. He spots Lainey--she's in a pretty blue and silver dress. She practices a few different jumps. He can't take his eyes off her.

MICHELLE
You want to watch with me?

Cory sits down on his Mom's bed.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - DAY

Lainey skates out onto the empty ice to start her short program. She looks so tiny on the massive rink. She gets into her starting position. The music begins and her whole body comes alive though she looks tense.

INT. CORY'S MOM'S HOME - MOM'S BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS 

Cory watches Lainey intently. She gains speed.

ANNOUNCER
Lainey's first jump will be a triple axel--one of the most difficult jumps, besides the quad. Although there's rumors she may do the quad for more points.

CORY
Come on Lainey.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - CONTINUOUS

Lainey skates backwards and turns to jump and we all see her go 1, 2, 3 and 4 times around. She lands a quad.

CORY
Yes!

Cory jumps up and winces in pain. He sits back down. But... it's a two-footed landing. The crowd screams anyway.

ANNOUNCER
Wow! Lainey has done a quad. But the two-foot landing will cost her. If Annika does the three quads in her program, Lainey won't have a chance to beat her.

ANNOUNCER #2
Annika doesn't have the grace that Lainey has but the jumps mean more to the figure skating score system.

ANNOUNCER
That's correct.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - CONTINUOUS

Lainey continues her performance. She looks rattled but then regains her composure.

INT. CORY'S MOM'S HOME - MOM'S BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS
Cory runs his hands through his hair. Michelle looks at him.

MICHELLE
She's very talented.

CORY
She's tough.

MICHELLE
I don't know how you all perform under such pressure.

They watch Lainey go through the rest of her program, perfectly executing jump after jump, spin after spin, but something's missing. It's as if all the joy had escaped from her eyes.

CORY
I think that landing rattled her.

MICHELLE
You got to know her while you were there?

CORY
Not really.

MICHELLE
Maybe you should get to know her.

CORY
I manage to screw up every good thing in my life. She doesn't need that.

Michelle looks concerned. She reaches out to touch Cory but he rebuffs her.

MICHELLE
That's not true.

CORY
You don't need to keep pretending.

MICHELLE
Pretending? What are you talking about?

CORY
You won't admit it to me but we both know... it's my fault Ashton's dead and Dad left and I know you can't stand me for it. And I don't blame you. I can't stand me for it either.

Michelle looks stricken. She puts her hands on Cory's shoulders.

MICHELLE
No! I've never blamed you for Ashton's death. And what happened between your dad and me is between him and me. None of that is your fault. I absolutely have not been pretending all this time. I've told you this, but I want you to really hear me: Ashton's death was an accident. I love you Cory so much I feel my heart could burst.

Michelle tries to hug Cory but he resists.

MICHELLE (CONT'D)
You're always so closed-off. Don't do this to yourself. You did nothing wrong.

Cory gets up to leave.

MICHELLE (CONT'D) 

You should go to her.

CORY
What do you mean?

MICHELLE
I see a woman who needs support during the biggest moment of her life. And I see a man who needs to start having a life again.