Chapter 3

Sultan walked through the hallway, his brows furrowed. He watched as his family stared, shrieks of pain leaving their mouths, they were dressed in white, tears rolling down their cheeks. Sultan asked the same question over and over as he walked through the rooms.

"Who are we grieving?"

"Who has passed?"

he would receive no reply.

He made his way like a lost soul into the living room, there lay the body of the deceased a white cloth hiding the face, Sultan walked over and removed it softly. It only took one look and Sultan fell backwards. A look of horror on his face.

He woke up in a fright, feeling a bead of sweat travel down the back of his neck.

"Abu!"

His brother sat upright looking at sultan

"everything alright?"

Sultan ran a hand over his face and gulped, nodding his head.

"Just a strange dream"

Asad tilted his head slightly.

"be careful, strange dreams can often be omens, especially since today it is laylatul qadr"

Sultan shook his head.

"may it not be an omen Asad bhai, i hope to Allah that it is not"

Sultan turned to the other side taking a deep breath and tried to fall back asleep.

***********

"Aaliyah, you've got top marks again! You have to tell us what your secret is,"

The girls had swarmed her almost immediately after the class results were announced.

"I really don't have a secret, I just study and I enjoy doing so. I don't learn the syllabus just for the sake of learning it, I do so because I want to understand it"

the girls groaned sulking, they wanted a tip or trick, some way of excelling without effort.

"And I pray to Allah that whatever result I get, let it be what he thinks is best for me because his plan is better than mine ever could be."

Her response made some feel inspired whilst others were annoyed, maybe it was the fact that she was so unbothered by her achievements that made those who were jealous burn even more.

Aaliyah aced every exam for as long as she could remember and everything usually went smoothly but Something strange happened before Aaliyah's final exam a week before the deadline Aaliyah's lab book went missing. Years of hard work, lost in an instant. Aaliyah rushed to her teacher, panic taking over her but she tried to find a solution.

"Miss my lab book is gone"

The teacher furrowed her brows in confusion.

"What do you mean by gone"

"I've checked everywhere but I can't find it" she tried to steady her breathing to think rationally.

The teacher clenched her jaw and fixed her hair. She seemed to be debating something. Her hand reached in her pocket and she retrieved a key. She held it out to Aaliyah.

"This is the key to the lab room. If there's anyone who can complete years worth of work in a week it's you. I trust you Aaliyah"

Aaliyah looked at her teacher in shock, she felt her eyes well up with tears and she smiled gratefully.