Vol 4.2 - Still

The pacing is a bit fast in this chapter.

________________________________________________________________________________

Kiyotaka froze in place.

It felt as if a bucket of water had been dumped on him. Despite the chatter of the bustling morning market, a loud ringing filled his ears, overtaking everything else.

What was that?

He never forgot anything. Some memories might be buried deep, but he never truly forgot. People called it a perfect memory, perfect recall. The sensation of sand, the tree of light...

He shouldn't be affected—

"Halt!"

"Hm?"

His thoughts were interrupted by a young man approaching with a clipboard, flanked by two others holding bolt-action rifles and equipped with freshly maintained ODM gear.

It appeared they had finally started taking care of their equipment.

"Sorry sir, just a routine check. Per the Premier's orders, we must ask citizens a few questions at random. Would you help us out here?"

"Uh...of course," Kiyotaka replied, his eyes flickering to the side.

Martial law had brought random checks on citizens by the Military Police. No one liked it; some even resisted and were thrown in jail as a result.

"Good. Now, let's begin. Your full name?" The MP sounded tired, having gone through this routine countless times.

"Herbert Clark Hoover."

Kiyotaka was not Herbert Hoover.

"...Okay... Do you have any identification on you?"

"No, sorry. I don't carry that stuff around. Only a few coins for necessities, that's it."

"Mhm..." The MP scribbled on the paper attached to the clipboard. "Next question. If the time comes, are you willing to be conscripted into His Majesty's army?"

Small chatter between the other MPs. Are they talking about him? He can't read their lips, but it's a possibility.

"Hm..." Kiyotaka hummed. "No, I don't think I'd be willing. Maybe against the Titans, though."

The MP glanced up from the clipboard, his expression tensing slightly at the wording, but he wrote down the response anyway.

"I see...Um..." Flipping through their notes, they marked several checkboxes off before flashing the young man a tight-lipped smile. It didn't look too reassuring. "That's all for now, you may move on."

"Thank you. Have a nice day."

"You too."

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka walked away with his ears still ringing and head throbbing. He decided to venture into his memories for any possible explanation of what had just happened. The past 5 years of memories flashed in between his eyes.

Sleep...

P̸̨̡̈́a̶̞̗̩͋̈́͛͆t̷̡̤̗̖̔̓̀̅h̷̝̀̓̇s̷͓͛-̶͎̬̪̈́

Trees...

Sand...

Grass...

Eyes...

Birds...

Doves...

Water...

Blood...

Corpses...