Vol 1.4 - Suspicions

I'm just going to publish this last chapter before returning to my notes.

Volume 1 is Kiyotaka getting used to the world around him and finding new goals to strive towards. That's the basic concept.

We'll get to the main story soon, relax.

________________________________________________________________________________

The remnants of humanity, confined within the walls of Maria, Rose, and Sina, totalled approximately 1,250,000 individuals. Among them, 250,000 called Wall Maria home, 750,000 populated Wall Rose, and the remaining quarter-million sought refuge within the confines of Wall Sina.

Wall Maria gained renown for its expansive grazing lands, though not particularly facilitative to crop cultivation. Instead, the vast grounds served as idyllic pastures for livestock such as cows, pigs, and sheep. A majority of the Walls' meat came from here.

Wall Rose emerged as the center of human habitation, accommodating the majority of the population. It boasted limited industrial capabilities within the walls and harboured the most fertile lands for crop cultivation, although the soil quality left much to be desired. It was in Wall Rose that a significant portion of the economic output was generated.

Finally, there was Wall Sina—a land of luxury where the wealthy class resided. Within its walls, all aspects of governance, financial transactions, and large military decisions unfolded. The wealthy elites, encompassing owners of large merchant guilds, landowners, nobles, and the royal family, held sway over Wall Sina.

All crucial functions vital for humanity's survival, such as governance, financial transactions, and military decisions, unfolded within the opulent walls of Sina. It stood as the epicentre of power that sustained the remnants of their civilization.

Thud!

"Ow!"

The voice of a young boy echoed through the air, a ten-year-old with a distinctive two-tone haircut, found himself on the ground after an unexpected collision. Rubbing his sore bottom, he looked up apologetically at the man he had bumped into, who had unintentionally become the subject of the collision.

"...?"

Jean promptly rose to his feet and offered an apology. "I-I'm sorry, sir! I didn't mean to!"

"It's fine. Just watch where you're going next time, okay?" The words, delivered with indifference, accompanied a gaze from the person with deadened eyes, their brown hair slightly swaying in the breeze.

"Y-yes, sir!"

Kiyotaka observed the subtle fear in the boy's voice as he scampered off towards an older woman, presumably his mother. What made him so intimidating? And why did everyone insist on addressing him as "sir"? It was confusing, considering he had regressed in age, not accelerated.

Was it his expression? He couldn't help it...

Regardless, the Masterpiece of the White Room continued his journey, determined to locate a library. Nearly three weeks had passed since his unexpected arrival in this world, and his quest for a library had been largely fruitless.

Wall Maria, as observed in Shiganshina, seemed too economically challenged to support something as luxurious as a library. He even questioned whether these medieval-esque villagers could read their language.

It was a simple observation!

It's not like he was looking down on them or anything!

Seeking directions from the locals, he discovered that Wall Rose was his next best option. The peasants directed him to a modest establishment near the local military HQ. If he were to draw a comparison to his experiences so far, it would be approximately half the size of the library at ANHS.