always.

A month ago, I moved foster homes after nearly a whole year.
My previous foster parents were young. Twenty-two and twenty-five to be precise.
We developed a bond overtime. I liked them a lot actually, but I knew from the beginning that come the January just gone that they had plans to travel.

Fortunately, I broke the pattern of having a shitty placement every other time and I ended up with a lovely family.
It's actually their first time fostering.

The two kids I now share a home with are absolute rascals, but have the sweetest hearts. Rose and Cosmo are their names. Both of them are five or more years younger than me.

The parents, Scarlett and Colin are genuinely so nice too. At first I was skeptic about their level of kindness, because usually I'm falling for an act. They're different though.
Especially Scarlett. We get along well. In a month, she's become the closest person to resemble a Mom since...ever, I suppose.
I never even knew my biological mother. I was dropped outside a fire station at three days old.

A downfall to feeling this comfortable with someone for the first time in my life, is that I catch myself almost about to share details of my inner monologue without even thinking.
It's become undeniably harder to answer with a simple "I'm okay" whenever I'm asked how I am.

I know Scarlett sees through me, but we've still only known each other for four and a half weeks so she's probably afraid to overstep boundaries.

"What are you doing drinking wine, Mads?" Scarlett approaches me on the couch, her tone both playful and motherly.

I pause my show on the television and drop the remote to my left, swirling the alcohol around in the glass as my gaze settles on the coffee table.

I get so awkward when I try to make eye contact with anyone.

"I just felt like it, I guess," I answer with a gentle shrug of my shoulders.

"At four P.M. on a Thursday afternoon? You're fifteen, babe." Her tone is calm. "What's up?"

"Nothing."

Scarlett takes an audible breath and settles closely beside me on the couch. "What are we watching?"
She takes the wine glass into her own hands and places it on the side table closest to her.
"I don't know if you'll like it," I answer, unsure. "It's called 'Gilmore Girls'."

"I don't think I've ever seen it," she admits. "Press play."
I do, and anxiously pull the sleeves of my sweater over my wrists as I cross my legs.
Less than two minutes later, she reaches for the remote and pauses it again.

For a moment I'm convinced she hates the show and doesn't want to watch it with me any longer, but that thought quickly fades when she turns her head in my direction, her eyes filled with concern.

"Maddie, I want you to know that I'm here for you," she starts. "I've noticed you've seemed a little sad the past week or so, and if ever want to talk about anything, big or small, I'm here for you. Always."

My eyes become teary at her words. My heart beats a little faster.

I've never opened up to anyone about anything before. Especially not about the self-loathing that is constantly on a loop in my head.

I think everyone finds me annoying. I'm flunking out of Biology. I look in the mirror and hate everything about what I see. I don't like how my mind works, I don't like the self-inflicted wounds littered across my arms and legs, I don't like anything about myself. Except for my eyes.

"I don't have anything to talk about," I tell Scarlett, unpausing the tv show again.
I refuse look her in the eye, or even glance in her direction.

Respecting my decision, she places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "If you ever do, just say the word."

Thirty minutes later, we've finished the episode of 'Gilmore Girls' and Scarlett also had decided to take it upon herself to finish the final few sips of the wine the was previously mine.
The next episode begins to play, neither one of us seem to plan on moving.

"I don't know how to stop," I admit, my voice almost inaudible.

"Stop what, Mads?" Scarlett looks to me, confused and concerned.

"Hurting myself."

___________
HELLO! This is short but I felt like writing something so ta-da

Also, I didn't relapse this week and the urge
was SO BAD but I girl bossed through

hasn't been proofread 🤪