academic validation

Age: 16
Warnings: self harm

Scarlett:
I hear people - friends of mine - talking about how hard it is to raise a teenage daughter, but Y/N is an angel. She's my best friend and I love her more than anything else in the world.

She's never really been interested in going to parties or drinking or anything like that. Sure she's done it before, but she's figured out that it's not really her thing.

Y/N's very focused on her school. It's important to her therefore she works really hard. Sometimes too hard. She's very hard on herself when it comes to her grades.

I try to assure her that as long as she's trying, her grades don't matter, but Y/N always think that she's not trying hard enough if she gets anything less than an A. She's a perfectionist.

I worry about her like that, especially now that she has mid-year exams coming up.
Unless I bring food up to her bedroom she forgets to eat. She's barely left her desk this week and I can tell from the bags under her eyes, she hasn't slept.

I decided that I was going to try and get her to have a break and come downstairs for dinner. "Baby, can I come in?" I knock on her bedroom door. "Yeah," She says.

As I let myself in Y/N doesn't look up from her desk. Papers are spread out over it, her laptop open and books are stacked on top of the other. "Can you come downstairs for dinner please?" I ask, sitting on the edge of her bed closest to her desk. "Can't I just eat it up here? I have so much I have to do."

"I mean you can, but I think you should take a break. Even if it's just for ten minutes," I explain, hoping that she'll take my suggestion. "I can't take a break, Mom," She deadpans. Her eyes still glued to her laptop. I sigh heavily. Y/N is very stubborn and will do everything she can to get her way, but sometimes her way isn't what's actually best for her.

"Y/N, come downstairs and eat. I'm not taking no for answer," I tell her sternly to which she groans in response. "Fine. I'll be down in five," She says. "If you're not I'll take your laptop away," I warn, making my way out of her bedroom.

When I got back to the kitchen, I served up dinner for the two of us and set the table. I was about to go and get Y/N considering she still hadn't come down, but just as I was about to she walked into the dining room...with her laptop.

"You can get off that whilst you eat please," I order. "Why? I came downstairs like you asked," She speaks. "I think you can take a break for ten minutes, don't you?"

"Nope. I got a C- in my last chemistry test, a C- mom. I might as well of failed. And, my exam is on Friday and I feel so far behind."

I sigh as we sit down at the table. "You've been studying non-stop for the last week, baby."

"So?"

"So...rest is just as important and studying. If not more. You're going to wear yourself out before you even get to Friday. I mean how much sleep have you had?" I say.

She doesn't respond to me and starts typing on her laptop again, not even taking a bite of her pasta.

"Is all you work saved?" I question, nodding my head down to her laptop. "Yeahhh, why?"

I lean over the table and take it from her, shutting it closed.

"Mom!" She scolds, trying to take it back. "Eat you dinner and you can have it back," I tell her, leaving no room for argument. "I'm sixteen, I'm not a child, you can't do that," She says, frustrated. "You are a child and I'm still your mother." I quirk an eyebrow.

"I know you care about school Y/N, but you're exhausted. Your health needs to come first," I speak softly. She leans back in her chair and crosses her arms like a toddler. "You're really bossy," She pouts. "You're really stubborn," I chuckle.

"Thank you for dinner," She mumbles, taking a bite of her pasta. "You're welcome, sweetheart," I smile lightly.

"Promise me you'll make an effort to get some sleep tonight?" I ask hopefully. "I'll try," She utters. "I want you in bed by at least eleven-thirty."

"Fine," She mumbles, a small smile curling onto her lips.

__

After dinner, Y/N went back to her room to study whilst I cleaned up and showered. I had an early call time tomorrow, so I decided that I was going to try and get to sleep a bit earlier.

"Sweetheart, I'm just coming in to say goodnight." I peek my head through her bedroom door, only to see that she's not in there. "Y/N?" I call out, seeing that her bathroom door is closed. "I-I'll be out in a minute," She stammers.

My eyebrows furrow together at the almost panicked tone in her voice, but it probably didn't mean anything so I make my way over to her bed and sit on the end of it whilst I wait.

I could hear quiet sniffing coming from Y/N and a lot of moving around and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

"Baby, are you okay?" I question anxiously, getting up and knocking on her bathroom door. "Mom?" Her voice comes out in a whisper. "Yes, bubba?"

"Can you promise not to yell or get mad at me?" She begs in a very shaky voice.

I don't know what she's done but I have a feeling that it's not going to be something I can get mad at her about anyway. "I promise," I say gently.

She unlocks the door and opens it slowly. My heart breaks when I see the state she's in. Her face is splotchy from crying, her forearms are covered in dried up blood and she's holding a towel over her left wrist. I start to beat myself up for the fact that I didn't see this happening. I should have known.

As much as I want to cry after seeing my daughter like this, I tell myself to hold it together. She needs me right now.

"I-It won't stop bleeding and I don't know what to do," She speaks quietly, a guilty expression on her face. "Oh baby, it'll be okay. Can you show me?" I say softly. She nods hesitantly and lifts the towel from her wrist. The cut looks deep.

"I'm sorry," She cries. "Y/N, you don't need to be sorry. Never apologise for struggling. I'm sorry I didn't see this happening," I say, cupping her cheeks with my hands, wiping her tears with my thumbs. "How long has it been bleeding for?" I question. "Over ten minutes," She mumbles.

"Okay my sweet girl, I...I think you might need stitches," I inform her. "No, please don't make me go to the hospital," She starts sobbing. "Honey, I know you don't want to but it's been bleeding for a long time and it could get dangerous if it doesn't stop," I explain gently.

"Please don't make me," She shakes her head desperately. I notice her breathing start to pick up. I take a moment to think about what to do.

"Can I clean up this arm and go from there?" I ask, holding her right hand. "Okay," She nods hesitantly. "If it doesn't stop within the next couple minutes we'll have to go to the hospital—"

"No—"

"I'll be with you the whole time, bubba. It will be okay."

"You promise?" She cries. "I promise," I smile assuringly.

_________
Fun fact: this was the first one shot I wrote for this book, but I never actually published it so enjoyyyy

Also, part 2?