Chapter 43

His red hair fell onto the armrest of the black leather couch, which he used as a pillow. His phone was playing a random YouTube video. Mingi let out a small chuckle at one of the funny parts of the video before faint noises from the basement caught his attention.

"What the hell is she doing now?"

Mingi slowly sat up from the couch, turning his head a bit to look past all the old furniture and towards the old wooden door that led to the basement. He had already gotten used to the smell of old, wet wood. Back then, when he just started helping her out, it would irritate him a lot, but by now he didn't mind it anymore. Quite the opposite, actually. Mingi found himself enjoying his time here, if it wasn't for the crazy woman downstairs. It was secluded and quiet, and outside the small hut, the flowers and trees would enlighten his day with their beauty and sweet smell.

But all that was pushed to the back of his mind as sounds of something shattering could be heard from downstairs, along with some yells.

"I AM GOING TO FUCKING KILL THIS UGLY BITCH!"

Okay, something was seriously wrong, and he knew he'd likely bear the brunt of it. He quickly rose to his feet as the sound of heavy footsteps reverberated up the stairs. She was coming.

As the footsteps grew louder, Mingi's muscles tensed, preparing for the storm that was about to hit. Not even a second later, the door burst open with a force that would make anyone flinch, but not Mingi. He was used to this.

He looked at the young woman with an annoyed expression, who in turn returned his gaze with a fiery glare. Her eyes blazed with fury, and her hands clenched into fists at her sides. The long thick black locks of her hair were falling down her sides and back, reaching almost to her chest.

"Okay, what happened this time? Did some girl try to approach Seungmin again or what's your issue?"

Her eyes flickered with the fire burning inside her, her rage only growing gradually.

"YOUR FUCKING GIRLFRIEND HAPPENED!"

Mingi's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he watched her storm towards the kitchen, her anger palpable in the air around her. He quickly followed after her, trying to keep his tone neutral as he spoke.

"What do you mean, my girlfriend?"

He asked cautiously, unsure of what she was accusing her of this time. She whirled around to face him, her eyes ablaze with fury, and her hand ripping open an old cupboard made out of rotten wood, containing the knives.

"SHE TOLD HIM ABOUT THE PHONES AND LETTERS! I WILL KILL HER!"

Mingi's heart sank as her words registered in his mind. He knew exactly what she was talking about now, and he cursed under his breath. This was bad. Very bad.

"Wait, you're talking about Seoyeon? But she wouldn't—"

Mingi began, but his words were cut off by her furious outburst.

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT SHE WOULD OR WOULDN'T DO! SHE BETRAYED US, MINGI! SHE BETRAYED ME!"

She screamed, her voice echoing off the walls of the small kitchen.

Mingi could see the rage boiling behind her eyes, and he knew there was no reasoning with her in this state. He had to tread carefully if he didn't want to become the target of her anger as well.

"Okay, okay, just calm down," Mingi said, holding his hands up in a placating gesture. "Let's just talk about this—"

But before he could finish his sentence, she lunged at him, her hands holding a knife from the kitchen. Mingi's instincts kicked in, and he dodged out of the way just in time, narrowly avoiding her attack.