PAST

I packed some clothes and hygiene products in my travel bag and left with Caine's men. There was no way I was turning down the opportunity to get out of my home. Paranoia wouldn't have allowed me to sleep.

My butcher knife was still in my hand when I got inside the backseat of the car. We pulled off in silence, and I thought about seeing Caine. Then I remembered what happened the last time at his place.

"Wait! Does Caine know I'm coming to his house?"

"Not yet. He's still not answering his phone."

I honestly didn't want to be in his house again. I like my horror on the TV screen, not my real life.

"Maybe this is a bad idea."

"Why is that?"

"The last time I was at his home, I was attacked by a skinwalker."

Dale, the one in the passenger seat, looked back at me.

"You must've been at the bar house."

"Huh?"

"Mr. Accardi only stays there when he's auditing the bar and biker's club. He has a different home two hours from there."

I was surprised. "Oh."

Rodney focused on the road. "Yeah, that's a hot spot for skinwalkers during a certain time of year."

My stomach felt sick. I definitely didn't want to go back there.

"Ugh."

While they talked to each other, I felt myself slowly calm down.

With my adrenaline gone, I felt so tired and dozed off for a little. I awoke to us pulling up to a dark mansion.

Caine's home was haunting yet beautiful.

Rodney and Dale both got out, and I did the same. They made another call, then my phone buzzed.

I checked my text...it was from an unknown number. There were six digits in the message, and I had no clue what it meant.

"You were just texted the code to the door. One of the maids or caregiver will be waiting for you inside."

"You two aren't coming?"

"We're not allowed unless it's an emergency."

Dale grabbed my bag out of the back seat, then gave it to me. I looked up at the huge structure, not sure if I wanted to go inside alone.

"Still no Caine?" I looked at them.

"He's on his way."

With my bag on my shoulder, phone in my left hand, and knife in my right, I walked towards the entrance. To the right side of the door was a digital keypad.

I checked the text, then entered in the six digits, causing the red numbers to light up in green, followed by a beep.

Click!

The door lock turned, and I was able to go inside. I felt a sense of calm as my eyes roamed the foyer to the dark hall. The interior matches Caine's vibe.

"Welcome, Symone."

The sudden voice made me jump while the hairs stood on my arms. I was still on edge.

"I am Pearl, and I will be your caregiver during your stay."

She was an older woman dressed like a school teacher with the signature eyeglasses. Her eyes went to my right hand that I was still holding the butcher knife in.

"You won't be needing that, I promise."

I put the knife in my bag. "Hi, Ms. Pearl."

"Follow me, sweetie."