FAMILY 2

I talked to my cousin before going to the hospital. My mom and sister weren't there so I went to see my dad. It was getting dark by the time I got there.

My father usually doesn't get involved in things, and I'm sure sending that wedding pic to me wasn't his idea. But I am still upset that he accepted Evan marrying Jalia.

It was like no one had my back, and I was on this island alone with my heartbreak.

I went to the nurses' station and gave my information. They were still allowing visitors.

"He's been put into a medically induced coma."

The tears fell down my face. I wasn't sure I wanted to see him in that state, but I had the nurse escort me into his room.

My dad has been my superman all my life. Even though I was disappointed in him recently doesn't mean I want him gone.

No one was in the room but him. The nurse checked his vitals and I.V. bag. I touched his hand, and it felt warm. Then I kissed his cheek.

"Hi, Daddy."

I knew there was a chance he didn't hear me, but I kept hope that he did. I continued talking as if he's awake.

"Long time no see, huh?" I wiped my tears.

I sat in his room for an hour when I got a text from Sasha.

Cousin, your mom and sister are on their way to the hospital.

Thanks. Good looking out ❤️

Once I replied, I got up from the chair.

"Okay, Dad...I'm going to go now. But I'll be back another day. Get better."

I kissed his forehead, remembering as a kid how I would sit and watch him repair things, then hand him the tools he needed. My dad would let me talk to him about anything...Barbies, Art class, the puppy I wanted, etc.

He would listen with a smile on his face.

"Can you hear me? It's Symone...Don't sleep too long, okay. I need you to help me repaint my deck so you can grill outside with me. I love you, Daddy."

Unexpectedly, I felt him squeeze my hand, and my heart jumped.

My other hand grabbed the button to contact the nurse station. I called out from the room, and someone ran in.

"He squeezed my hand! He just did!"

They checked his vitals again.

"His brain activity has increased. Can you squeeze my hand, Mr. Riley?" The nurse asked, but nothing happened.

I took his hand again. "It's Symone. Can you squeeze my hand again, Dad? If you're too tired, I understand."

My mother walked into the room, but I kept my focus on my father.

He squeezed it again, and I cried with joy.

"Great job!" I was excited. My Dad knew it was me.

My mother walked over to the other side of his bed, and I smiled...not because she was there, but for what just happened.

The fact that he was just put into an induced coma but responded physically was great news. The doctor came in, and I decided it was time to go.

"I'll be back to see you, Daddy. I have some questions about what type of paint to use for the deck. You know I'm not good at that stuff. I love you."

I whispered in his ear, then kissed his cheek again. My father always enjoyed doing that type of stuff, so I tried to pique his interest.

Another doctor walked in while I was walking out of the room.