- Chapter 17 -

Shifting in the paper thin cot, the group looks to Rome as he can sleep like a baby while everything is being tossed around like a salad would in a restaurant, as they keep studying the map to the Unknown City.

Micheal tries and gets comfortable on the floor near the wall, while Emmanuella and Arabella keep watch on Theo as he shivers here and there from the loss of blood.

Oliver is writing on the map with Desni while Nicholas is keeping guard out in and inside of the shack.

"I would say daylight should be coming in an hour or so?" Oliver says, looking at the screen in front of both Desni and him.

"So let's gather what we may need and start getting Theo up," Desni says standing while tying her hair back as it's all wild and frizzy.

Nicholas sees the two moving around and goes back into the shack offering his help.

"You can carry Theo as we go through the tunnel system," Desni says while getting a backpack off the metal like shelf where Rome has a whole bunch of surviving supplies.

Arabella rubs her eyes from losing focus because of how exhausted she is but keeps holding Theo's hand.

"Arabella, start getting those flashlights. I think there's about four."

Desni points out while getting medical stuff for Theo just in case his condition takes a turn for the worse on the way to the Unknown City.

"Still think this is a shitty risk we're taking with moving Theo," Arabella says.

Emmanuella nods while looking at Theo who is starting to wake a bit.

"Can you guys...stop being so mad?" He shudders out at both Arabella and Emmanuella.

"How are you feeling?" Desni asks him while feeling his forehead.

Theo stifles a laugh saying, "Like a million bucks," Then winces as he tries to sit up.

Desni touches his shoulder to take more of the pain, having her body tense up.

"Somebody wake princess Rome from his slumber," Oliver calls out as he turns all the monitors off, getting another backpack secured on his shoulder.

Nicholas gets Theo on his back, getting him secured as he latches on with the little to no strength he still has from his shoulder being injured.

"Don't drop him," Arabella says.

"Yeah be careful Nicholas" Emmanuella said, glancing worriedly at them.

Desni makes sure they have everything and Oliver moves Rome to the front as he keeps an eye on him and the map.

Walking to the tunnel system entrance, water drips down, vines are intertwined on the brick cemented tunnel walls and water rises to where it would meet your kneecaps, making it strange to walk through.

"You guys are okay?" Desni asks as they begin to travel in the risen water.

Oliver puts a thumbs up while Rome keeps to his side not saying anything.

Nicholas looks to Theo waiting for him to say something as he's quiet as well.

"Can we hurry? It reeks in here," Theo says lowly.

"Yeah it does," Emmanuella said, scrunching her nose in disgust. "But are you good tho?"

"Yeah, just in pain," Theo answers.

"Oh. You should rest then. Stop talking and take a nap," Emmanuel responded.

Rome keeps guiding the whole group but stops as there's a faint light up top, like a small opening.

"What is it?" Desni says.

Oliver looks up too then has Emmanuella and Arabella get behind him, "There's something up there," Oliver says in a whisper.

Rome, trying to make a run, goes to open it and climbs up with a few slips here and there.

"Did he really just squirm his way out?" Desni says angrily.

Oliver peeks over and keeps looking up, "Not for long, somebody just grabbed him."

Micheal treads over, looking up but Oliver moves him back too.

"Should we go up?" Desni says, looking at the group.

Nicholas shakes his head while Theo does the same.

"Okay, let's just keep moving," Oliver says looking at the map.

The group continues on in silence, ignoring the fact that Rome got away. The important thing was the map and getting to the end of the tunnel.

Hours passed and their pace slowed from exhaustion, their feet were beginning to prune from walking in the water all day. Theo was constantly in and out of consciousness and Emmanuella stayed close by, keeping an eye on him.

"How long till we get there?" Emmanuella asked impatiently for the third time

Oliver glances at the map then out in front and sees where they need to turn.

"Should be around that corner then there should be a stepping ladder connected to get up to the street of the Unknown City."

"Alright," Emmanuella says.

The knowledge of the Unknown City being so close came as a relief to them. Without realizing it, their pace increased, eager to get to safety and take a break from walking.

Oliver was the first to turn the corner, he spotted the stepping ladder almost immediately and made his way to it. 

"Who would go first?" Emmanuella asked once the rest of the group caught up to Oliver.

Desni looks to Nicholas and Theo then looks to Micheal and Arabella.

"I'll go then if it's safe, I'll have Oliver help you guys up so we can grab Theo."

"Be careful tho. We don't know what's up there," Emmanuella warned.

Desni lets out a small smile to show she could handle anything that would meet her at the opening, even though inside all her emotions were batting on each other as if they were in a batting cage.

Stepping up, and climbing to the lid, Desni moves it with a grunt and climbs out onto the street like Lia did.

Looking around, it looked like a city that had been torn, left for dead.

Still looking, she doesn't see anything and has the others climb up too.

"Don't make a sound, just hurry and climb up so we can find somewhere safe to go," Desni whispers out to the group as she looks down to where they are in the tunnel.

Oliver helps Arabella, Emmanuella, Micheal then gets up to help bring Theo up until Theo opens his eyes.

Without any time to turn to see what Theo is looking at, he says, "They're there. Everywhere."