A Three-Way? Let's All Date

"I'm saying," said Ye Jun as he lifted himself off his chair and closed the distance between them, all the while maintaining that strangely intense gaze, "If you think it's impossible with Jong In, then why don't you give me a shot."

"Do you know what you are saying?" Si Woo asked him.

The older man met his eyes calmly as Ye Jun's heart thumped wildly in his chest, the sounds of its rapid beats drowning out everything except Si Woo's words. Of course he knew what he was saying. He understood it all - their meaning, their intention, their implication. He understood it so well that he knew that he should walk away right then and there, forgetting everything, forgetting the man before him and the agreement they had made, and promising himself that he would never speak those words again.

He had even promised himself before meeting up that night, that he wouldn't pursue it. In fact, he had promised himself that he would step away. And he should have stepped away. He knew that nothing good could come of those words.

But he hadn't. And he had said them.

All while Jong In slept peacefully, only inches away, unaware of the words Ye Jun had spouted.

His palms felt sweaty. He needed to retract them. He needed to retract those words.

And he opened his mouth to do so but something held him back. He stared at the beautiful face of the man who shouldn't have been there, a man who now represented a wall between him and Jong In.

Was it just his curiosity to pursue this strange, foreign feeling that so many others had tried to instigate within him for as long as he could remember? But there was something else to it, something driving him to get closer to this sunbae, propelled by a rising anxiety that had seemingly come from nowhere.

"I know what I am saying," Ye Jun replied, slowly, as though he was confirming with himself, hoping for that last bit of sanity to stop him. "I am interested in you."

Si Woo did not move nor did he respond for a long moment. Then he placed his drink down atop the table and stood up. Ye Jun watched him, not quite feeling as though the events of the night were actually occurring, as though he was watching a movie as a nameless person in the crowd.

Si Woo stood before him and leaned down, placing his face only inches from Ye Jun's. He gazed at him deeply, as though searching for something in his gaze. Ye Jun met his eyes but remained silent. After a moment, he settled himself back onto his seat. "I thought you weren't interested in men."

His muscles tensed, suddenly remembering the conversation they had behind the law building those few weeks ago. "I'm not... I wasn't. It seems to be just you. I-I don't know why but I seem to be getting jealous because of you."

Si Woo placed his chin leisurely upon his arm as he leaned onto the table. "Hmm," he said, "So the 'Ice Prince' is jealous because of me? Then... what about Jong In? What about your plans to get Jong In to fall for me so that he is less of a burden on you?"

His hands clenched into fists. That wasn't what he had said. The sunbae was wording the situation in a way that wasn't right and yet.... He shook his head, feeling somewhat deflated. He already knew everything Si Woo was saying was true, of course he knew, he had never been as stressed as he had been these past few weeks. "I don't know why... No, I still want Jong In to find someone."

"Just someone who isn't you and now, someone who isn't me. How incredibly selfish," Si Woo said softly as his finger circled the rim of his nearly empty can.

Ye Jun stiffened. He had already known that. He was a damn bastard, spoiled, selfish, but he wasn't deluded. He did want Jong In to find someone because it ultimately affected him. Jong In finding someone else to have feelings for was necessary for their continued friendship. But that wasn't all. Jong In's happiness also mattered to him. And since Ye Jun couldn't return his feelings, he wanted his friend to find someone who could.

"But you see... that poses a bit of an issue for me as I am still very much interested in Jong In."

Ye Jun suddenly felt a pang through his chest, something he didn't recall ever feeling before.

"What should we do then?" asked Si Woo, his tone almost casual, almost playful. He seemed to think for a moment before his eyes brightened. "How about we all date?"

Ye Jun jerked in surprise. "What?" he said, a little louder than he intended.

"Think about it – I want Jong In, you want me, and Jong In wants you. The solution would be for all three of us to date and we can explore our feelings further. This way, we can all be certain."

"No," said Ye Jun almost immediately. He couldn't possibly do that to Jong In.

"Then what?" Si Woo said, his gaze direct. "Would you rather cut out Jong In completely? Not only does he have feelings for you but he was warming up to me. This will be like a betrayal to him, especially if ever he finds out that you tried to push me to be your replacement."

His heart throbbed and Ye Jun began to feel restless. He was right. It was the same thing Ye Jun had been telling himself, this was really nothing less than a betrayal to Jong In but how could he ask him to be in a three-way relationship with him simply because Ye Jun wanted to explore these feelings for the sunbae? He was supposed to be Jong In's best friend.

Ye Jun shook his head. He had to back away. "No, I can't do that. I can't ask that of Jong In."

"Hmm, then I suppose that we can't date either. You know, I am curious too, why would you suddenly get jealous over me? You barely know me and you've never liked men. But I am not ready to give up on Jong In, I find him interesting."

Ye Jun took a deep breath. Despite what he had been telling himself, he was actually considering it. He was strangely drawn to this man and he wanted to know why. So he opened his mouth, despite not knowing what would come out, unable to stop himself but before the words could come, a voice, one that froze every cell in his body, spoke up from behind him.

"I'll do it," it said in a soft voice.

Ye Jun turned around, the tip of his fingers ice cold, as he gazed at the pale face of the boy he had known all his life, his childhood friend, his best friend, a boy who loved him. "J-Jong In-ah," he said.

But Jong In wasn't looking at him. His normally straightforward eyes were avoiding his. "You said you wanted to know why – you've never..." he wet his lips, "you've never felt this way for another person so I'll help you." He looked up and Ye Jun watched as his gaze collided with Si Woo's. Ye Jun's mouth went dry. "I'll date you if you date him."

"Now, hold on a second," Si Woo said as he looked curiously from Jong In to Ye Jun. "It can't just be you and me and me and him. To make it fair, you two," he pointed between them, "need to date as well."

Si Woo could see Jong In swallow visibly before spurting. "N-No! That is to say, there is no need." He was still avoiding Ye Jun's gaze and Ye Jun's eyes had still not left Jong In's face. They both looked lost and troubled. "I don't want to date him."

"Well," Si Woo responded, slowly as though thinking over the situation, "I don't think it's quite fair to me. I have to date the two of you but you only have to date me." He smiled and leaned forward, "Let's make it fair and let's all date."

Jong In's eyes widened and panic seemed to set in. For a second, Si Woo felt bad but not bad enough to retract his proding. "I'll take your silence to mean you both agree to the terms."

Neither spoke up. Ye Jun seemed frozen in his position and Jong In seemed to be battling between his resolve and his need to run from the situation. Si Woo sighed internally. What would become of them, he wondered as he took another sip of his beer. It was empty now and without the weight of the liquid, the aluminum can wobbled once, twice before falling onto its side and breaking the heavy silence with an empty, hollow clank.