Vol 2.8 - Dust to Fire

Start from the beginning

"Captain, we'll be arriving soon."

"Is that so?"

"Mhm. Everyone will be happy to see you again, it's been a long time and we've made massive progress. We're about 90% done all the tasks you gave us."

I hummed. For a bunch of peasants,  soldiers and farmers turned Geneva Convention violators and modern engineers, they sure seemed rather stoked about murdering 50 people just to gain my approval.

Don't tell me they think of me as a God. I was only joking.

Teaming up with the nobility and creating a civilian economy that specifically needed raw materials from the mines and manufacturing equipment was a good choice, it saved me time and money.

As we approached the bunker, the foliage became more dense and the trees a bit larger. Animals scurried away, from squirrels, deer, birds and foxes to make way for the nearly 30 men and women who came along for the destruction of the Anti-Personnel Squad.

In the background, you could hear the sounds of the river that provided the drinking water for all the nearly 110 people who lived in these premises. Men, women and even some families are allowed to live here as long as they contribute their fair share of the labour.

I founded this organization right before the Fall of Wall Maria. It initially consisted of unruly bandits that I recruited. The initial recruits were all bandits, who turned out, totally unexpectedly, to be loyal to money and gold. I had them fully disposed of after the incident with the 104th Cadet Corps.

I'll need to get everyone into shape. Simply wielding an AK74M and wearing body armour doesn't make someone invincible. I have around a year and 3 months; I can work with this.

One, I believe his name is George called out to me. "I'll go on ahead and inform everyone, Captain!"

"Remember to decontaminate yourself once you get in. Killing everyone or getting them sick is a no-go. That goes for everyone here, too." I received shouts of affirmation.

"Yes sir!" The reins of his horse cracked as he bolted forward.

I had to bite the bullet on not wanting attention from others. This was a matter of survival in a world that I do not fully understand; I cannot afford to be held back by memories of past traumas. Tools are tools—and tools are needed for performing jobs.

The bunker was constructed into a hill, which itself was surrounded by trees for practice with ODM gear. The entire base we called home was around 120 meters by 100 meters, giving it a total land area of around 12,000 square meters. It certainly wasn't as large as ANHS, but that wasn't necessary. It was practically self-sustaining at this point if they had followed my instructions carefully.

The entrance didn't appear to be much, however, what set it apart from the rest of the buildings within these walls was the materials used for its construction, reinforced concrete combined with a metal door.

I could still hear clamouring and the whizzing of buzzsaws inside and outside of the complex. I guess I wasn't lied to when they said they weren't finished yet.

"It looks good," I murmured.

I could observe a few reflections in a small cleared-out field not too far away from here. Solar panels are a form of renewable energy that doesn't rely on coal or Iceburst stone. Despite being limited in producing energy when it's sunny out, it's much better than constantly having to go out for fuel.

"We built it to your exact vision, Captain. You are fit to be our leader. Most definitely," another one, I believe his name was Michel, spoke. There are so many ways to spell such a simple name.