Part 26

Ziv's house was comfortable, and sleeping in a bed was an answered prayer. As Faith's chaperone, I mostly sat in the corners of rooms reading or walked far behind the couple on walks. I tried to give them the space to truly learn about the other person, the space that I wish Demitri and I had given before our wedding. The letter was sent the following day by a rider from the local village that Ziv uses often. He said it would take two, maybe three days for the letter to arrive. Demetri should start making his way here, alone or not, depending on his decision. Any day Demetir would arrive, even today, was a possibility. 

Ziv and Faith walked around the gardens, but I was lying on a blanket. They were always within sight of me, but I did not have to walk, which was greatly appreciated. Most witches have a sense of what is around them. It is different with every witch, but one moment, everything was fine, and the next, a cold feeling snaked down Faith's spine and mine. Her eyes met mine in concern as she directed Ziv back toward the house. I stood and started packing the picnic that we had enjoyed earlier. I could feel eyes on me, so I picked up the pace. That is when Ziv remarked that he heard a fast-approaching horse. Perhaps what we felt was Demetri, and the dread was anxiety. I looked towards Faith, and she shook her head. She didn't believe that it was Demetri who was making us anxious. 

Demetri's form broke our sights as he halted his horse. All our heads swiveled in his direction. That opening was needed because an arrow burst through the bushes, heading straight for Ambrose. A scream left Faith's mouth, and both men ran towards us, but I was faster. A strong "stop" had the arrow freezing in mid-air. Ziv and Demetri stopped in their tracks, but Faith leaped into motion.

"We must get inside." She grabbed both of their arms and pulled them with her. I caught Ambrose, ignoring all the picnic being left behind, and fled. 

"Shield," I muttered, protecting us from the archer's further shots. I caught up to Faith in one of the bigger drawing rooms. When the door closed, I set to work, sealing us in and shielding us from the archer. Faith ran to my side, concerned for Ambrose, pushing her to check on him. 

"what is he?" A deadly dark voice caused my back to straighten and Faith to cower. Ziv looked back at us after inspecting the spell I cast on the window. When no one answered, Demetri asked again, "What is he." 

"he is your son," I stated, hoping that my voice didn't quiver 

"But what is he?" Before Demetri crossed the room, I passed Ambrose off to Faith, who immediately fled to a corner of the room secluded from everyone. Demetri grabbed my shoulders and shook. "Answer me honestly, woman." 

"he is your son!" a hand came down on my cheek so fast that I was unprepared, falling to the floor from both the impact and the shock. 

"Answer me properly," he hissed down at me 

"then ask me a proper question." 

"what are you?" from the floor, I looked up at him and hoped that honesty would save me

"I am your wife, the mother of your child, and a witch." Ziv collapsed on a chair at my words, but Demetri's eyes were still locked on mine.

"what is he?" 

"He is your son and human," Demitri turned away. I started to rise, but a vicious voice held me in my position on the floor. 

"if you so much as move a muscle, I swear that I will kill you regularly for any promises I made at our wedding." Faith was crying quietly in the corner, and Ziv was looking at Demitri like he was a stranger. 

"did you take him for a reason like to sacrifice him, or were you planning something else with our son?" I gasped that he thought I would hurt a baby, which was appalling. 

"I love our son, and I had Ziv tell you why we left." 

"don't lie to me," a vase smashed into the table before me, showering me with glass. "Witches can't love." 

"and who told you that?" I chanced it and moved, standing up and moving towards him. "have you ever even met a witch, or are these just hateful lies that you are using to make yourself feel better about unjustified hate." 

"do I look like I feel better?" he snarled. 

"I love our son more than I thought possible, and when I realized that someone in the castle did not wish for you to have a child, I ran. Risking my life and risking losing you to protect him. and I love you." his hands were raised. I thought for a moment he was going to hit me again, and I flinched. he let out a horrible, heartbroken noise. He grabbed his hair before collapsing onto the couch. 

"tell me I need to understand everything." 

"I was born a witch, and my father and mother are also witches. There is no pack with evil spirits that are naturally born that way." he nodded at my words, But I noticed that Ziv was now looking at Faith. 

"not evil?" 

"I'm as evil as a human. I can make the choice to just as you can."