Part 8

The girls fixed my arm that night, but we kept it in the cast so that no one would know. The next day I pretended to be indisposed due to the injury. I was reading all I could on the politics of the area and governance. I had been trained by my father for years to understand all this information. I wanted more background information before I started to do the prince's work for him. 

The fact that the prince was not doing it was the perfect situation. I needed an inside look at the runnings of the castle and room to start changing things in favor of the witch's takeover. With the prince's refusal, if I was caught, I could say I was trying to help. Father wants our country to be a self-contained entity possible once the witches are in charge. We are also going to create a pocket universe and enclose the country in it. of course, that part of the plan was farther off; I was starting to lay the groundwork 

when I had finished my work well the prince's work, Dianna had left for home, and I was supposed to meet the prince in the large window room at least that is what the note told me. 

"I am struggling," Helena exclaimed, trying to rewrap my arm. Faith got up to help her, but we all jumped in fright as Pricilla slammed the door open. 

"I have excellent news," she exclaimed, closing the door. "I have finally found a permanent vehicle for the contraceptive brew I have been making for his highness's harlot." 

"and what would that be?" I asked, watching faith have a go at my arm

"I watched her smack a kitchen maid, and I went to comfort the poor soul. She has been assigned to the harlot, which is not the first smack she has endured. I asked the girl how much worse she thought it would be if Cora was carrying the heir and the prince left you for her, and suddenly Cora was the future queen. The simple thought of that made the girl break down in tears. I suggested that all we would need to stop that was to ensure that you got pregnant first. So long story short Cora dear is getting a contraceptive brew in her morning tea every day and... and the prince is getting the same brew as you dear Estella which will make him horner every day and the best part is when a man takes what you are on the are less attracted to infertile women which Cora will smell like to him while you dear friend will smell amazing. you can thank me whenever you want." 

"I thought you said that they can't conceive with magic," Helena asked? 

"no, don't you see this is a loophole. They aren't using magic to force him to sleep with her; that magic leaves room for choice. It is just messing with their hormones." faith explained. 

"how long?" I asked 

"I would give him a week before he needs it," Pricilla says with an evil smile.

*** 

Pricilla was right; the brew was messing the prince up. His behavior was becoming more erratic. He missed two of our meetings and has been out of the castle gambling and drinking with Cora all day. I have been spending the week making slight changes and small suggestions in the prince's daily work and giving it to his manservant to give to the king. That is what I was doing now in the library with the kingdom's budget. 

"I thought I would have stumped you with that assignment, but I see your father trained you better than I trained my son," the king said as he came into view. 

"your majesty, I am so sorry" I attempted to cover the budget so he wouldn't see, but I knew that he knew. 

"Please don't smudge your ink. I would hate for that good work to go to waste" the king sat in the chair across from my work and started thumbing through it. I was hesitant but took a seat anyway. "if you wanted me to think that it was my son who was turning in this work, you might have wanted to make a few more mistakes, especially in foreign policy. he is not as well versed in it as you seem to be" 

"I could never make mistakes on purpose, your majesty" I laughed at the thought. No, my father made sure I could never stand for mistakes. 

"You see, Estella, I typically have the minister of finance at my side when we go over this, but here you are armed with nothing but past budgets to guide you. And I appreciate that; wow, you are doing better than I usually do with the monthly budget. very impressive." 

"thank you, your majesty" I bowed my head. 

"I think you care for this nation and the people in it. I see the fierce way you protect your ladies and sisters, even Dianna, when the palace staff whispered about her. Dimitri could use a bit of what you have." 

"I think fighting for love is a worthy cause," I whispered out. It was true he was fighting for a love that I could never have or understand. 

"There are many types of love, and not all of them are worth fighting for, especially when they are hurting more than helping." the king gathered my work in his hands. "you do not need to finish this; I just wanted to see if you could do it. I am having a gift sent to your room. You should go, so you are there to receive it." 

"Your majesty, would you mind if I held onto the budget? It bothers me leaving work incomplete?" I asked hesitantly. The king full-on laughed 

"here, my darling girl, budget to your heart's content" he left the library, me following closely behind. I wonder what gift he was sent to me. I sat in my chair by the fire in anticipation. And then there was a banging on my door. I hoped up to answer it, not expecting the scene before me.