Part 4

I spent most of my time researching the laws of this nation. I wanted to know what would become of me if the prince returned with a pregnant girlfriend. It was my morbid obsession. What I did learn was that the prince was quite clever. He never technically consummated our marriage, so if I complained about that, he could get our marriage annulled. I think that was his end goal. To hurt me so that I would confront the officials about that event, he would not deny it and come home with his probably pregnant woman. I would be sent home, and he would be free to be with her. The only part he didn't think through was that my father did not simply hand over his fortune with my hand. Oh no, my father and I sat for months with the best lawyers we could find crafting this marriage contract. There was the loophole that allowed me to marry in Diana's place and that the act of marrying me only got him a quarter of my father's money. The rest would be delivered on the birth of a recognized heir.

So if this were to be a battle of wits, he would soon find that he was against a real competitor. The solstice ball was coming soon; with it, my family and the final ladies in waiting were supposed to be mine. Handpicked as some of the most cunning girls in my year. They knew what they signed up for and were ready for the hunt. We came armed with potions to turn ourselves into whatever the men they chose wanted. And it was such a relief to be in the company of my own, especially since the prince was yet to return.

"Well, first you should find out if his woman is with child," Pricilla suggested.

"And do what with that information it isn't like she is going to kill it," Helena argued. 

"If she is not, we can start slipping her a contraceptive brew to keep it that way" Pricilla was calm and calculating. You could see it in her steady hand as she drew the kole on her eyes. This was not to be beautiful, which she was, and this was her war paint. 

"Not a bad idea, and it would keep any future concerns at bay. Still, we are left with one more issue," Diana concluded "he needs to get you pregnant, and unfortunately, there is no spell for that." 

"You could use an enchantment on him to make him sleep with you?" Helena suggested

"No," I snapped, "you can not conceive on an enchantment; magic won't allow the creation of life unless it is a choice made by both parties." 

"Well, you have been taking that fertility brew. The only thing left is to get the prince to finish the deed," Faith concluded, "and would have to use your other assets rather than magic to do it."

"Well, he better do it quickly because the side effects of the brew are starting already." 

"Hh, she is horny," Pricilla laughed, "and we wouldn't want that baby to be a stable hands son." "Have I ever said how much I hate you" I muttered. 

"Yes, but you never mean it" Pricilla patted my cheek "now let's go. I have a date with the lord's magistrate, an older gentleman of good fortune and substantial power in this country." "Positively wicked you are," Diana whispered. 

"Perhaps, but with his wandering hands and recently dead, barren wife, I think my prospects keep going up. See, you all at the end of the aisle, girls." As I said, these girls are all here for a reason, and as they get married, families plan to send me their second-born daughters to participate in the takeover. Because that is what we really are—an invasion in tule and makeup. My ladies and I walked into the solstice ball with our heads held high despite the looks of sympathy I was receiving. This was a banquet, and I watched as my ladies peeled off from me to get to advantageous seats beside powerful and wealthy gentlemen. Faith was practically skipping to Ziv. The prince's best friend, who I hope was as taken with Faith as she was with him, I don't think I could handle her heartbreak as well as my own. My father gave me a nod. I continued to the seat next to where the prince was supposed to sit. The king pulled out the seat for his queen and then pulled the chair out for me with a look of sympathy. 

"He is supposed to be here; I was told he would be at the ball," the king whispered. I glanced at the queen, giving me an encouraging nod as if this was good news. This was terrible news. if he returned during a public evening, not only would I have trouble cornering him. He would also have a captive audience of the people to jilt me again publicly. The doors open wide, almost as if my thoughts summoned him. The prince entered, guided forcefully by one of his father's guards. And if that was not insulting enough, he was holding tight to the hand of a small woman who clung to him as if he was the only thing keeping her alive. The prince stared at only his father, not even a glance at me. But his woman kept glancing at me and back at their joined hands, nervous, ridiculous what she thought I would do, jumping across the table at her. I would have to care who he spends time with to do that; I only care that he was trying to embarrass me, nothing about her. 

"Father," the prince spoke, then leaned in to kiss Rachael's cheek "Rachael, how lovely to see you both so healthy. Jared, Damon," the prince nodded at his younger brothers. He kissed chastity's cheek when we heard a squeal from the side and saw Juniper launch herself at her brother, and he held her and spun her around. At least it can be said that he is a kind older brother. 

"Dimitri, have some decorum and put her down," the king said, nodding at Rachael to take the child, which she gladly did. "Cora, how lovely to see you; I think your father is looking for you somewhere in the hall," it was said with fake kindness. The king knew that sending the girl to her father would effectively send her from the court, never being seen or heard again. 

"Father," the prince started, but the king held up his hand to stop his son. The girl clung to the prince tighter and whispered to him. 

"She is not your responsibility, son." 

"if she goes, she will be..." 

"And you think..." the king snapped. I couldn't sit here with the people watching this drama unfold; it was too hard and embarrassing. 

"your majesty, you are quite right. It is not the prince's responsibility to help this young lady change out of her travel clothes for the ball. As a woman, it would be much more appropriate for me to handle such things. I shall deal with this immediately. No need to worry" I kissed the king's cheek and walked to the girl with my hand held out. The only question on anyone's mind was whether she would take it.