don't be scared

𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗

✬˖༄ ♡ ࿐*✬

benji acts surprisingly well as he gets ready for school. oftentimes, his behaviour is off on the first day back to school because, yet again, the routine he has gotten used to is changing. today though, karl didn't have any issues with the younger boy.

sapnap stays out of their way during the morning routine, starting early on work for the day, but he joins them for the walk into school, keeping karl company while the younger boy skips on a few feet ahead. it's nice, strangely domestic, and karl breathes in the fresh morning air with a content smile.

though, small talk only lasts them half of the walk before the inevitable creeps upon them.

"i'm driving back today at 1," sapnap says as they stand in the playground, waving benji off as he runs off into the school. if the morning had been worse, karl would've met with benji's teacher to discuss transition, but the ravenette seems fine. "mom's picking benji up from school, but you'll be over this afternoon anyway, right? you work mondays?"

"yeah," karl nods. it's going to feel weird going back to his old routine of only working four times a week... and never seeing sapnap... and going back to school. karl tries not to think about it. about lewis. "so, this is the last time i'll see you then."

sapnap turns to leave the school's playground and karl follows, glancing back momentarily just to double-check that benji isn't caught up watching them leave or anything. he's not, the young ravenette already being long gone, probably reuniting with his favourite teacher and rambling about his spring break.

shaking his head, sapnap replies, "you'll see me again."

"i hope so," karl says with a sigh, unable to stop the honest words from slipping by. it just feels weird, knowing sapnap is going halfway across the country after spending weeks constantly in his presence. it's going to be such a huge change and, whilst karl doesn't react as strongly as benji might, he thinks it's fair not to like change.

"what are you up to now?" sapnap asks, slowing to a stop on the main road. "are you busy?"

karl does a weird head-shake-shrug hybrid of an action and answers, "no, i've got the day off till work. why?"

"do you wanna stop for breakfast? or coffee, if you drink it?" sapnap suggests, tipping his head back to gesture towards the small café they just passed. "we could talk some more?"

he sounds so nervous and it's so unlike the man that karl has gotten to know, he finds it endearing. "sure."

sapnap responds with a pleased smile, and the pair of them turn back to the quaint café, entering through the old-looking door. karl used to come here when he was a child on report day, and his mom would treat him to a milkshake if he did well with his grades. they don't do stuff like that now, but the memories are still fond.

they both order a drink at the counter, karl fussing when sapnap demands to pay but being secretly thankful, since he would've felt guilty for the rest of the day for spending five dollars on a milkshake.

drinks in hand, the two boys move to take a seat right in the back corner of the room. it's quiet, probably because most people are heading to work or still sorting out their kids, and karl finds solace in the peace as they sit together, appreciating the distraction as he takes in the details of the small café.