used

𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗

✬˖༄ ♡ ࿐*✬

"can you, like, play on your own while i get some work done?" sapnap asks, blinking down at his little brother. the nine-year-old is sitting on the floor of the guest room, which seems to be more of a room for his toys, with a ridiculously large box of lego pieces on the floor before him. he seems to be building some sort of vehicle, but sapnap doesn't think it is one that exists in real life.

benji turns slowly to look up at his brother, squinting. "you know, you don't have to watch me constantly," he says, almost grimacing in that sassy way children do. "i'm not a baby."

sapnap wants to point out that the last time he was in charge of watching his brother he practically was a baby, but he supposes he's too old to be arguing with a child.

"alright, well, i'll be in the dining room if you need me," he says, earning an uninterested shrug in response before dismissing himself.

sapnap hasn't even been at home for forty-eight hours and he's fed up.

he arrived two nights ago, expecting to meet the sweet old nanny and talk over mugs of tea. instead, he was greeted by a young, attractive male, presumably his age. it had been so off-putting and, after the long drive, he had lost all motivation for niceties.

instead, he dismissed the brunette, just wanting to get benji in bed as soon as possible so he too could go to sleep. it was a ridiculously early night for him, but he needed it.

he was woken up yesterday by a crash downstairs and, after running down the stairs in boxers and a sleep shirt, he found benji standing in the kitchen with a shattered bowl around his feet.

"i'm meant to leave for school in three minutes," the child had said, "you didn't wake up so i was getting my own breakfast."

sapnap would've liked to pretend that he forgot to set an alarm because he went to sleep so early but, in all honesty, he hadn't even considered that it would be necessary. the school run had skipped his mind and he had to get ready in record time. even then, he got his brother to the school almost twenty minutes late.

by the time he was having to stop work to go pick up benji yesterday, he was almost tempted to use the number that his mother sent him to contact the "nanny" and ask him to come and help with the evening.

he's too prideful for that though.

maybe he would've been more inclined if the nanny seemed to be someone who would actually be good at their job, rather than a young male who can only be in the profession for the wrong reasons.

like, seriously, surely karl can see that his career path is unconventional for a man of his age and actually get a real job?

if sapnap's mom was paying out of her own pocket, sapnap would probably suggest that she hires new help, but since the ssi are paying it seems unreasonable.

getting a job as a nanny and being paid through the ssi must mean that karl had to go through background checks. some sort of criminal record check, at least? still, that isn't going to stop sapnap from keeping a very keen eye on the so-called nanny.